Mike's 45 gallon long planted tank

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So I wasn't able to get to the tank over the weekend... But it did give some time to think, and I think the 45 gallon would be a better grow out tank for juvenile Green Sunfish so I'll be moving everything back into the 30 gallon tank lol. Plus I'll save money by doing it this way...

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Ok so some updates for this tank.... I decided not to tear this tank down... Last week I added a 250gph powerhead to the tank for extra circulation, I stopped dosing ferts for now because I'm still battling brown hair algae which I discovered to be diatom hair algae. As of today 90% of the of the diatom hair algae is gone, still have a bit left on 1 of the branches but I'm sure it'll be gone soon!

All of the plants still looks very healthy as the "algae" battle enters its 2nd week, tomorrow I'll be adding a fresh co2 mix to the tank and I'm also thinking of making a DIY co2 bell to the tank. Let me explain what a co2 bell is and does... Currently I use a plain ol' glass diffuser connected to co2 resistant air line tubing down to the DIY co2 system...

A Co2 bell is added above the glass diffuser to capture co2 bubbles allowing the captured co2 to slowly dissipate into the water... (image below)

This way with the co2 bell once the DIY co2 system stops producing co2 because of the "alcohol" effect caused by the yeast the captured co2 in the bell will still supply the tank with co2 until I make a new batch. But this DIY co2 system is only temporary, until I can get enough money for an automated co2 system...

I need to replant some of the cabomba that's gotten free in the tank, but I'm going to spread it around the back of the tank as previously planned... Then I'll take some new pictures I promise (batteries died on my camera so I'll replace them)!!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I'm back!!! Though I never really went anywhere lol...

So all of the diatom hair algae is gone... Plants are doing well... Siamese algae eaters are doing well... Decided to leave the 45 gallon as a planted tank, but I'm still debating on the whole driftwood thing... Because the driftwood that I'm thinking about using is one solid piece that's about 8"-10" tall at the highest point and 3" tall at it's lowest point, 34" long, it's around 6"-8" thick, it's kind of like this but more triangle kind of...

And if I go with it in the tank it'll take away the center of the tank, and only leave planting space on the sides and in front... I also ordered a aquarium glass air stone purge oxygen aeration...

It'll be used as a co2 bell, but it has a small air hole kind of on the top which I'll seal it so no co2 can escape through it... But it also has a glass air line pipe that goes through it, which you can connect an air stone to it, but I'll be using it as a level air escape hatch. Basically because I don't want it to float or anything it allows for a good amount of co2 to build up, and if there's too much co2 it'll escape through the glass air line pipe if you catch what I mean...

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Guess I should update this thread lol...

So the "?" baby fish that was in my 30 gallon tank has been moved into the 45 gallon tank, and it's a species of Killifish!!! Seems to love the bigger tank, and the Siamese algae eaters don't bother with him. Got the DIY co2 bell put into the tank, and routed the air escape tube into a powerhead because the co2 was barely escaping the co2 bell via the glass tube and it would build up and release a couple big bubbles which was annoying.

So now the powerhead sucks up the co2 once it reaches the bottom of the glass tube and pushes it out into the tank, but it also causes water circulation inside the glass co2 bell so it doesn't sit and start to smell.

I trimmed one of the Amazon Swords shooters, and planted the 2 small swords that were attached... The moss has really grown in looks so natural now on the driftwood!!!

I'll take some new pictures later today when I get back from fishing!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Was going to get some new pictures of the tank, but the tank now has ugly green hair algae and yes the siamese algae eaters are being lazy once again... Every so often I'll catch one of them munching on the hair algae, but it's only nibbles so I'm now for sure picking up a few Amano Shrimp Wednesday!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store