Dimilin use and Anchor worm?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Noticed a cple red worms on fins and a lip of a cple of my "dither fish" in a ray tank. I pulled the said specimen out, removed the worms with tweezers and hit the wounds with iodne. Also ordered some Dimilin to kill off the free swimming cycts. Should i also go through a cple rounds of Potassium permanganate to ensure i removed the worms or will the dimilin kill the adult/female forms of anchor worm also? Never used the potassium or dimilin before. ill b picking up some potassium from the hardware store after work. last ? lol...is dimilin safe for rays specifically young rays. Thanks!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
any help or experiences? ive dosed the system this fish is in 4 times now with dimilin and have seen no positive results. Ive also tried to physically remove the worm once and did not succeed. any other treatments or baths i could use would be much appreciated.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
any help or experiences? ive dosed the system this fish is in 4 times now with dimilin and have seen no positive results. Ive also tried to physically remove the worm once and did not succeed. any other treatments or baths i could use would be much appreciated.

Charney Charney
Aquanero Aquanero

Reactions: wednesday13

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
that should be able to treat the worms if they are anchor worms. I have heard it is very safe but have not tried it with rays. Can you even still get it?
If you have a vet you use for other pets they can get you compounded Lufenuron. This is very safe and effective. Once again assuming the diagnosis is right.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
that should be able to treat the worms if they are anchor worms. I have heard it is very safe but have not tried it with rays. Can you even still get it?
If you have a vet you use for other pets they can get you compounded Lufenuron. This is very safe and effective. Once again assuming the diagnosis is right.
much appreciated Charney, was hoping ud see this eventually. Maybe i got some bogus Dimilin lol... ebay was the only source i could find it. Have you ever used potassium parmaganite? Ive read it works as a bath to remove the female form of anchor worm but am somewhat afraid to try it with out some advice. My rays did not miss a beat during the dimilin treatments, neither did the worm tho. Ill get u some pics. The worm is located directly on the lip/chin of the specimen in question. pretty positive it goes all the way through the chin to inside the mouth also if that helps u i.d. :/.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
20160522_115413.jpg 20160522_115427.jpg
this is what ive been using... my rtgg does not like the camera :/, im havin a hard time gettin a good shot of her problem.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
20160522_121918.jpg
20160522_121920.jpg
20160522_121702.jpg

Charney Charney i appologize for my awesome camera skillz, shes 2 smart and annoyed by me pestering her. Im gonna pull her out for a better shot and try 2 physically remove the worms again as she now has 2 on the lip. best i can describe it as is a pimple. Appetite and activity level is still normal atleast but id like to nip this in the butt and learn for the future.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I have heard dimilin is very effective, it doesnt work though; bomb the tank with sodium chlorite, it's a last ditch effort though, as it will kill off your bacterial colony too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store