filtration advice

dat_tiger

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
boston
I'm planning to build a diy overflow following this video here for my 150 gallon tank.
What size of pvc pipe should i use for the drain and return? Also do you have any recommended design that would be better than the one in this video?

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
That is a good design there, and what size pipes all depends on how much water your pump will pump.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Not really you should figure out you turn over rate you are looking to achieve with the species you plan on keeping before buying a pump. D dat_tiger these numbers plus 60%

Screenshot_2016-04-27-20-44-40.png

dat_tiger

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
boston
Not really you should figure out you turn over rate you are looking to achieve with the species you plan on keeping before buying a pump. D dat_tiger these numbers plus 60%

View attachment 1179867
i'm probably going to do 5x for the turn over rate with the 1.5" pipe. So you are saying that i would need a pump that would be rate for at least 1,344 gph? Also do you have any recommendations for submersible pumps?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
If you want 5x turnover rate then you need to decide if you just want the turnover rate to be based on the display tank or the display tank and the sump. If you want just the display tank then you are looking at 750gph and you will need to find a pump that can supply this flow at the head height from your sump water level to the top of your display tank water lever. Different pumps will have different results.

I got Rio pumps for my setup but there are better options if you want to spend a bit more then there are better options.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I run quiet one pumps by lifegard aquatics they are a little louder then most but when they crap out it is cheap enough to have a spare setting aside and not a bad price for parts. Mag drive or rio is a step up from them. You could probably get away with one inch pipe but if you have the option for 1.25 go with that. Look at your local stores to see what's available for pipe fittings first.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Keep in mind if you have a 100 gal tank, a 1000 gph pump does not circulate the water ten times an hour. It only moves apx 600 gph through the pump. And I'm not referring to head loss. It takes about 4 hours to have circulated all of the water.

Reactions: DN328

butchie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
orlando
Keep in mind if you have a 100 gal tank, a 1000 gph pump does not circulate the water ten times an hour. It only moves apx 600 gph through the pump. And I'm not referring to head loss. It takes about 4 hours to have circulated all of the water.
Why is that? Just inaccurate published data by the manufacturer or something else that idk?
Thanks

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Why is that? Just inaccurate published data by the manufacturer or something else that idk?
Thanks
It moves X amount of water per hour, but it does not turn the entire volume of the tank in that time. Every time it moves the volume of the tank, it is also being diluted by the water that is in the tank. I have a book that gives the actual formula for determining how it works.

Reactions: butchie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store