Successfull! Overstocked 50 Gallon Eartheater Tank

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Very nice looking tank and fish. I have a pair of redhead tapajos. Male is 7.5" female 6". 1 geo dicrozoster male 7" and unknown female geo?? 5". They're in a 135g and i think my tank is alittle crowed. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping them in anything less than a 6ft tank.

Reactions: Christian Tinoco

Christian Tinoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2016
Seattle
welcome,i like your natural scaped tank. firemouths are CA, but i think temperment wise he or she should work.i have a few fluval filters, great workhorse.do you plan to upgrade as these fish grow?
Firemouths are definitely one of my favorite CA cichlids so i just had to, he actually sifts through the sand too, I'm not sure if that's something he's picked up from the eartheaters but it's cool. Fluvals stocked with extra biological filtration is the way to go (CerMedia MarinePure 1.5-Inch Sphere Bio-Filter Media) is some of the best out there. Yeah I'm planning on it, i would like to keep some Satanoperca Lillith or Acuticeps later.

Christian Tinoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2016
Seattle
Very nice looking tank and fish. I have a pair of redhead tapajos. Male is 7.5" female 6". 1 geo dicrozoster male 7" and unknown female geo?? 5". They're in a 135g and i think my tank is alittle crowed. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping them in anything less than a 6ft tank.
I just like the look of a busy tank I guess but obviously it requires more maintenance and the hassle of fish outgrowing the tank.

Reactions: fishnatics

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Welcome to mfk ! From the title of the thread i figure the pitch forks would be used heavily lol glad they are not.

Things can go south over night keep that in mind. But nice tank.

Do you plan on upgrading or adding more tanks in the future ?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Firemouths (any of the genus Thorichthys) are the Central American equivalent to geophagines/eartheaters, and sifting the sand is quite normal behavior for them.
And I also agree about success measured in years, not months, you could call 3 years a success.

Christian Tinoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2016
Seattle
Welcome to mfk ! From the title of the thread i figure the pitch forks would be used heavily lol glad they are not.

Things can go south over night keep that in mind. But nice tank.

Do you plan on upgrading or adding more tanks in the future ?
Ha ha!! catchy thread title was the main point there but I guess the lack of issues have taken the concern out of the hobby for me but I may have to owe that to luck or the amount of info that forums like MFK have contributed to the hobby. A lot of members here have been there done that, and that really helps a begginer like me get a good headstart into the hobby.

I look forward to upgrading and expanding some time for sure if all goes well.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Very nice looking tank but, yeah, that's a lot of fish in a 3 foot tank. Great to hear you'll be upgrading them as you will definitely want to keep an eye out for a 6 foot tank. ;)

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Very nice. A year and a half and you've come this far? Good advice from the people here. Take it in stride. Welcome to MFK!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store