Polypterus Ornate overeating

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Btw I've noticed you are getting more members hooked on polys lol:D
i'm quite fond of my senegalensis, but if I spend some $$$ on another Poly, it's gonna be an ornate....i'm just still not crazy about the fact that so many Polys will eat each other.....

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Btw I've noticed you are getting more members hooked on polys lol:D
Hahha its all Dr.B Dr.B fault

i'm quite fond of my senegalensis, but if I spend some $$$ on another Poly, it's gonna be an ornate....i'm just still not crazy about the fact that so many Polys will eat each other.....
Nah i think thats over rated/hyped i had a small gold dust literally the size of an earth worm with a 13ish inch lap and had no issues. Right now my 5 inch sen is with the big wc endli and they hang out together.

Frank get another poly frank getanother poly frank get another poly

Vettech716

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2016
Illinois
I found out the hard way that they will eat smaller versions of their species... I lost 2 senegals that way. It made me mad because they left the raphael catfish alone and when I put that in there it was a quarter of their size. That's why the Albino is currently living the life in a 40 long by himself.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
All fish are different.

MY ornate is aggressivetowards smaller polys but even he hasnt tried to eat another poly

That being said im sure if my endli was hungry enough he would munch on the sen

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I found out the hard way that they will eat smaller versions of their species... I lost 2 senegals that way. It made me mad because they left the raphael catfish alone and when I put that in there it was a quarter of their size. That's why the Albino is currently living the life in a 40 long by himself.
In reality, you should be very VERY THANKFUL none of your fish have eaten a Raphael catfish.....they are nicknamed "Caiman-Killers" for a very good reason......I mean, LOOK at it....it's a fish practically covered in barbed wire and razor blades

Vettech716

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2016
Illinois
I put the tilapia in the tank last night and of course the Delhezi and the Frontosa immediately took to it eating some. The other little a-hole however refused. I just got home and it looks like MAYBE she ate some. There's still some in the bottom of the tank that I need to pull out but she does have a little bit of a belly at the moment ( I don't remember if she did last night). I can't say she for sure ate it because I wasn't home all day.

Vettech716

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2016
Illinois
In reality, you should be very VERY THANKFUL none of your fish have eaten a Raphael catfish.....they are nicknamed "Caiman-Killers" for a very good reason......I mean, LOOK at it....it's a fish practically covered in barbed wire and razor blades
They don't even care that he's in there. When I originally put him in there he was tiny. Now he's too big to fit in a mouth.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Vettech716

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2016
Illinois
I think it's safe to say everyone was right and we had success! She has a big full belly this morning. So does the Delhezi. 20160501_111330.jpg 20160501_111325.jpg

Reactions: DMD123
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store