Black Shark

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I bought one a few weeks ago. 1st time, never had one before. I know they are aggressive and they are Cyprinidae that grow up to 2 feet occasionally. That's all I know, so anything you guys can tell me is appreciated.

READYSETGO

:p

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I bought one a few weeks ago. 1st time, never had one before. I know they are aggressive and they are Cyprinidae that grow up to 2 feet occasionally. That's all I know, so anything you guys can tell me is appreciated.

READYSETGO

:p
Nice pick up mate, don't see many available over here also, same as the redtail blacks, very thin on the ground.

I think they're fairly vegetarian so would appreciate greens in their diet.

Post a pic :)

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Nice pick up mate, don't see many available over here also, same as the redtail blacks, very thin on the ground.

I think they're fairly vegetarian so would appreciate greens in their diet.

Post a pic :)
lol pics? he's like 1.5"....not much of a spectacle yet haha My ARSs or my RS would be a little more Kodak-friendly at 3"-4" for now

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I had one for a few years. I picked him up at my fish club auction for $1. He was 9" when he died last year. Not sure what happened. He was healthy and doing fine. I fed them and went to eat dinner. When I checked the tank after dinner he was belly up. Not sure if he choked or what. Pretty sad. He was cool but yeah, a bit of a butthead.
CAM00425.jpg CAM00706.jpg

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I had one many years ago. Named him B.A. with good reason. One day when I was transitioning fish to sell before a move he launched himself out of the trash can when I was gone. I found his leathery body later. He was about six or seven inches and probably my favorite fish next to my aro that he lived with.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I had one many years ago. Named him B.A. with good reason. One day when I was transitioning fish to sell before a move he launched himself out of the trash can when I was gone. I found his leathery body later. He was about six or seven inches and probably my favorite fish next to my aro that he lived with.
What types of foods did they like best and what's good to get juveniles to that early growth spurt? How fast do they grow typically? I hear they are aggressive - do they actually have some dental hardware or is it just a mouth-full of "rubberlips"like most Cyprinids?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Mine ate the same staple food the rest of the dithers did, generally formula one and two, live brine and live blood worms, tubifex cubes. No real bite but if he could pin a fish down he could deslime it pretty good. Dojo killer :mad::(

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Mine are everything, cichlid pellets, veggie wafers, frozen foods and loved fresh zucchini. He also constantly grazed on the algae on the wood. Whenever I did water changes he would rasp on my arm and hand. It felt like coarse sandpaper. He would occasionally get into scraps with some of the other fish but the tank boss, my synspillum, would keep him in check. He was #2 in the tank. He was in my 150 with a 13" synspillum, Argentea, convict, Firemouth , pictus cat and Bala sharks.

Growth rate I would say was moderate. He was a couple inches when I got him and I think I had him almost 3 years.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Mine ate the same staple food the rest of the dithers did, generally formula one and two, live brine and live blood worms, tubifex cubes. No real bite but if he could pin a fish down he could deslime it pretty good. Dojo killer :mad::(
Where do u get live blood worms? U sure they weren't BLACK worms?
Mine are everything, cichlid pellets, veggie wafers, frozen foods and loved fresh zucchini. He also constantly grazed on the algae on the wood. Whenever I did water changes he would rasp on my arm and hand. It felt like coarse sandpaper. He would occasionally get into scraps with some of the other fish but the tank boss, my synspillum, would keep him in check. He was #2 in the tank. He was in my 150 with a 13" synspillum, Argentea, convict, Firemouth , pictus cat and Bala sharks.

Growth rate I would say was moderate. He was a couple inches when I got him and I think I had him almost 3 years.
So roughly 3" per year?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store