Concrete Block Stand

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
furring strips are just strips of cheap wood like 3/4" x 1 1/4"..

wood paneling is between 1/8" - 1/4" thick

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Is wood paneling thinner than plywood?
Yes. Wood paneling is often called veneer, because it's used to cover cheaper materials (e.g., plywood, drywall) and tends to be very thin. It's added for looks, not typically for support, although properly glued or nailed it does offer a bit more stability to certain structures (e.g., tables, dressers.) OTOH, the thinnest plywood that I recall would be just under 1" thick.

If you add a sump and want this to be up and running a long time, you might want to consider how moisture would affect the wood. I think paneling is more moisture resistant, but raw wood would be something else. If the wood you get isn't pre treated, I'd consider applying a sealer.

That would not be as much an issue if the sump is completely open, but if it's enclosed, I would consider it a potential issue. There's no risk in your case of collapse, since the tank is supported by concrete, not the wood, but I don't think moist wood is ever a good thing in a home. (Just my view.)

Reactions: JOSCAR05

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
Yes. Wood paneling is often called veneer, because it's used to cover cheaper materials (e.g., plywood, drywall) and tends to be very thin. It's added for looks, not typically for support, although properly glued or nailed it does offer a bit more stability to certain structures (e.g., tables, dressers.) OTOH, the thinnest plywood that I recall would be just under 1" thick.

If you add a sump and want this to be up and running a long time, you might want to consider how moisture would affect the wood. I think paneling is more moisture resistant, but raw wood would be something else. If the wood you get isn't pre treated, I'd consider applying a sealer.

That would not be as much an issue if the sump is completely open, but if it's enclosed, I would consider it a potential issue. There's no risk in your case of collapse, since the tank is supported by concrete, not the wood, but I don't think moist wood is ever a good thing in a home. (Just my view.)
Great. I will look into that and prices for everything. All this info is awesome. Thank you bro i appreciate it

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Yes wood panleing is like a vaneer of wood its light and comes in many forms

Fishy-Botany

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
For my sake, how did you stack the cinder blocks to keep them from falling over?
Did you glue or cement them together?

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
For my sake, how did you stack the cinder blocks to keep them from falling over?
Did you glue or cement them together?
I actually did not. I actually only counted on the weight of the tank, water, sand, and decor. Almost 500 pounds if not more of weight on the blocks. Its real stirdy and no person or little dog of mine is dumb enough to knock it over or as much lean on it. Thanks for the concers. Oh and the tank is leveled perfectly lol

Fishy-Botany

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Your more trusting than me. My anxiety would be acting up just thinking about it.
I think when i do mine ill pick up some liquid nails

Reactions: JOSCAR05

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
Your more trusting than me. My anxiety would be acting up just thinking about it.
I think when i do mine ill pick up some liquid nails
yea thats one think that was mentioned to me when i posted this and it totally slipped my mind. but i think ill be OK. good luck with yours

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store