Feeding problem with greedy warmouth sunfish

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Good point, cats actually grow bacteria to kill birds with.

My mom has celiac, which means her immune system attacks her if she eats even the slightest trace of gluten. If I had fish food with gluten, I'd have to wash my hands very thoroughly after feeding the fish, plus the tank water would probably be contaminated. Which would mean that our bathroom sink would have gluten on it (Python water changer), and so would several surfaces in the room.
And when you have celiac and don't eat gluten for awhile, your immune system goes absolutely mad if it detects any gluten at all, mistaking it for a returning infection that needs to be nuked. Considering that it would make my mom quite sick for several days if she unknowingly touched something that had gluten on it and then ate at any point soon after that, it's not worth the trouble. I have gluten-free food for most of my other fish, and since I can keep my bigger fish fed and happy on frozen food, I'd rather not risk it.
wow, that's ridiculous....sorry to hear that. You might want to search for better food sources besides frozen at this point....I am understanding more and more frozen foods' nutritional value is not nearly as much as I once thought. Pellets are generally a staple diet for fish, and a great bit of their protein source. I don't know what to substitute pellet food for.....I already feel like 40% crude protein in a food is nothing more than a "treat" TBH. You do flake or freeze-dried?

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Flake usually also has wheat, it's used as a binder. Oats are also a no-go, which eliminates most brands of prepared food. Freeze-dried is usually fine, it's typically just dried critters, but I've always thought that sucking all the moisture out of something must take a lot of the nutritional value with it. If I have some frozen whole krill and some freeze-dried whole krill, which of the two is more nutritious?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Flake usually also has wheat, it's used as a binder. Oats are also a no-go, which eliminates most brands of prepared food. Freeze-dried is usually fine, it's typically just dried critters, but I've always thought that sucking all the moisture out of something must take a lot of the nutritional value with it. If I have some frozen whole krill and some freeze-dried whole krill, which of the two is more nutritious?
freeze-dried by far, I think.....none of my frozen foods are higher than 10% crude protein......the freeze dried krill I have is around 60%

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
I'm not using the mixed foods, though, it's literally just frozen krill or minnows. How can freezing something possibly remove more protein than sucking all the moisture out?
Could it be due to the fact that water weighs so much, and they both have the same amount of protein but it's a larger percentage of the dried food because there's no water?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I'm not using the mixed foods, though, it's literally just frozen krill or minnows. How can freezing something possibly remove more protein than sucking all the moisture out?
Could it be due to the fact that water weighs so much, and they both have the same amount of protein but it's a larger percentage of the dried food because there's no water?
well, if you look at the ingredients/analysis on frozen foods, it generally reads well over 50% moisture, I think the fat is the 1st thing to "dry-up and go away" when they freeze-dry something, leaving mostly proteins behind, so measured per serving - a 1oz. serving of dried foods and a 1oz. serving of frozen foods,- let's say Shrimp of all the same size and length - it will take MUCH more dried foods than it will frozen to be "One serving size". Perhaps 100 dried shrimp will equal the same weight of 10 frozen

Think of it like you're trying to lose weight (I am lol), and you're counting calories in your food intake - you go by how much is in each serving size.

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
But you have to re-hydrate freeze-dried food, thus putting the water back in. 10 dried shrimp rehydrate to roughly the same as 10 frozen shrimp, but there's probably some trace elements lost with that moisture that was taken out in the first place.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
But you have to re-hydrate freeze-dried food, thus putting the water back in. 10 dried shrimp rehydrate to roughly the same as 10 frozen shrimp, but there's probably some trace elements lost with that moisture that was taken out in the first place.
Gonna have to ask one of the ol'-heads about this one, I'm fresh outta ideas

duanes duanes Oddball Oddball pops pops K krichardson Charney Charney Aquanero Aquanero Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 dan518 dan518 Andy woods cichlids uk Andy woods cichlids uk RD. RD. peathenster peathenster J jaws7777 thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter Chicxulub Chicxulub

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
To answer the original question,silver dollars are primarily herbivorous. A large part of their diet should be plant based.I would clip a large piece of lettuce inside the tank so they can graze at their leisure. The Bass should ignore plant foods like this.
If you thaw your bloodworm in water before feeding and pour it in infront of the filter flow the dollars will pick off the odd one or two, this should be enough meat for your silver dollars needs if you keep feeding them lettuce.

Reactions: Frank Castle

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I couldnt get my dollars to eat veggies but i would definitely try that and feed the pellets that op said were gluten free.

If the bass doesnt eat pellets and the dollars do whats the issue ?

I have to keep a pearsei away from the food using a pvc pipe

How many sd's ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store