Bala Shark problem

ivebeencanceled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
So-Cal
twk1;1176496; said:
Oh man! im sorry to hear about your bala.... sorry i don't know what you should do... but i hope he gets better! How big is he?
About 8''

ivebeencanceled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
So-Cal
Tokis-Phoenix;1176714; said:
The main thing which would cause a fish to swim off-balance is a damaged swimbladder, this should heal in time if its just phyisical damage, but if the fish cannot eat (because it cannot aim for the food properly) and gets very thin you should consider euthanising the fish.

Does this tank have a background picture and/or any planting?

Your tank stocking is not ideal, you have quite a few fish which will be unsuitable for it in the long term. Bala sharks are shoaling fish and do a great deal better when kept in groups of their own kind, having more sharks will reduce their skittishness.
Well i dont think he can eat, he can hardly swim anymore.
Yes the tank has planting, and plenty of place for it to hide, but idk, hes done this before.

Yeah, the Bala Shark came with the tank, so we just kept it.

brcacti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
Arizona
I agree with the previous post, more schooling fish like more balas or add tinfoils, the bala seemed unusually skittish, with the addition of more moving fish to school with they may all calm down a little.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
add balas and tinfoils to a 25g?!?!?!

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
Even if they all go into his biggest tank, look at how they are stocked!!!

L33How

Feeder Fish
Apr 28, 2016
Okay, so this evening my dad walked passed the 75g, and the Bala Shark freaked out and smashed into the glass, he hit it reallt hard, he sunk to the bottom and just sat there.
After awhile he started moving around, he eventually started to try to swim around.
He can swin around now, but he swims upside down, and in circles.
Im hoping he'll snap out of it, but i dont know..is there anything i can do?
Do you think he'll make it?

He's in my 25g right now, i had to get him away from those cichlids.
Wow this has just happened to me, i must have frightened the shark and it has just smashed its head on something and absolutely wrecked its eyeball causing it to pop out and its turnt more and more red over the last few minutes. It also seems to be swimming a bit aimlessly and on the odd occasion just goes crazy and swims into things viciously. Now it is sat on the bottom of the tank and unfortunately seems like its the end of the road. Its a shame cus he is huge and have had him for yearss.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Anytime you keep non cichlids with agressive cichlids that can happen. Thats why I never keep cihlids anymore tired of them tearing each other and other fish up. I have all medium sized barbs in my 125 now fast and peaceful tank

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Guys this thread is dead, its from 2007 and the OP was last on in 2012
look at the dates b4 posting

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah but it looks as if the resurrector was searching for more advice for his shark as he initially made a thread of his own about it.....it's no big deal really.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Yeah but it looks as if the resurrector was searching for more advice for his shark as he initially made a thread of his own about it.....it's no big deal really.
At this age of the original thread he should have made a new one. I got several posters in before I thought to myself, " This poster hasn't been here in awhile". Then I looked at the dates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store