Tadpole Serendipity! (Would someone be able to ID him?)

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
The little spotted tadpole officially became a frog!! The green ones will be on their way soon!
From no legs to four! Here was his full transformation!!!

That might be a Las Vegas Leopard frog.....they're thought to be extinct. You should do some research and find out where it came from and show some experts on local fauna. If that's either species I think it is, you might have just made history. gotta find out where the tadpole was collected so they can preserve the body of water and surrounding areas. Start contacting people who can help you figure out where it came from and we'll go from there. Scientists should really know about this, idk how to contact the proper channels though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiricahua_leopard_frog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegas_Valley_leopard_frog

divemaster99 divemaster99 MN_Rebel MN_Rebel Oddball Oddball Chicxulub Chicxulub Aquanero Aquanero

Lil' Jenny

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Vegas
That might be a Las Vegas Leopard frog.....they're thought to be extinct. You should do some research and find out where it came from and show some experts on local fauna. If that's either species I think it is, you might have just made history. gotta find out where the tadpole was collected so they can preserve the body of water and surrounding areas. Start contacting people who can help you figure out where it came from and we'll go from there. Scientists should really know about this, idk how to contact the proper channels though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiricahua_leopard_frog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegas_Valley_leopard_frog

divemaster99 divemaster99 MN_Rebel MN_Rebel Oddball Oddball Chicxulub Chicxulub Aquanero Aquanero
I'll look into it but since I found him at my LFS I wouldn't think it would be a Las Vegas Leopard? Since he was shipped in from whatever fish hatchery the goldfish came from.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
its some type of leopard frog....I mean I have them around here...and they look pretty similar to that. If its an endangered species that'd be balla but that's highly unlikely lol

Lil' Jenny

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Vegas
ALSO the bigger green bean will be joining our little spotted one into frogdom soon enough!!!

I'm really excited to see how the little green one will turn out! She's slow growing but extraordinarily beautiful imo.. Just look at those shiny eyes!!

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I did and I have to go with P predatorkeeper87 and say it's highly unlikely. He looks like every other leopard frog.
I honestly have to disagree w/ this. At least do a search on Leopard frogs in your area to be sure. P predatorkeeper87 is from PA like me.....there's no way our Leopards look like yours 2,000 miles away. They may bear similarities, but ALL Leopard frogs bear similarities otherwise they'd be classed as a different species or genus. There are MANY sub-species and several are endangered or worse.....it won't hurt anyone to research it a little bit, will it?

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I
I honestly have to disagree w/ this. At least do a search on Leopard frogs in your area to be sure. P predatorkeeper87 is from PA like me.....there's no way our Leopards look like yours 2,000 miles away. They may bear similarities, but ALL Leopard frogs bear similarities otherwise they'd be classed as a different species or genus. There are MANY sub-species and several are endangered or worse.....it won't hurt anyone to research it a little bit, will it?
I agree, you should at least look into it.

Reactions: Frank Castle

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'm not saying its the same species of leopard by any stretch but theres such a small chance its an endangered species accidently being prolific in a goldfish pond on a hatchery haha. I agree it would be worth the research however. My next comment is if it DOES turn out to be endangered....I'd be careful who exactly you ask...as regardless of how it came into your possession they may try to charge you with some type of wildlife crime.

only reason I bring that up is its happened to me. I picked up a dead hawk that had hit the side of my house chasing song birds. The game commission told me even though I reported it I could still receive a fine for touching it....a dead bird on MY property lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store