What kind of budget should I be looking at?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
How long have you been in this hobby? This is a big project and I hope you know how to cover your ass. Not trying to come off as a jerk or negative you know how everyone is like to sue someone at a drop of a hat.
I would love to help you some day if this is your goal and I'm sure I can make it happen if I knew where you where from
I've been in for quite a while, and I've lurked on here for a year or two, so I've seen some big stuff get built. I'm basically doing the same thing sploke sploke did, except there are larger tanks - to cover for that, I'm not using wooden supports, I'm using welded steel supports. That should stand MUCH better than wood.

I might not even install it myself (or help at least, no way I could move a 600 gallon tank on my own) - I might hire someone to do it. I really don't want a lawsuit on my hands. I'm going to talk to the headmaster about that, because I really don't want to have to worry about getting sued - if anything happens, I would prefer (I'm going to sound like a jerk) to have the loss on the school, they've got millions of dollars, I... don't.

Once I figure out everything, I might PM you where it is and invite you to come on down. I've got plenty of help with it already, but I'd love to let MFK'ers come see it (I would love to, however I still need to check with the school because I'm not sure they would want random people coming in just to see the tank).

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I've been in for quite a while, and I've lurked on here for a year or two, so I've seen some big stuff get built. I'm basically doing the same thing sploke sploke did, except there are larger tanks - to cover for that, I'm not using wooden supports, I'm using welded steel supports. That should stand MUCH better than wood.

I might not even install it myself (or help at least, no way I could move a 600 gallon tank on my own) - I might hire someone to do it. I really don't want a lawsuit on my hands. I'm going to talk to the headmaster about that, because I really don't want to have to worry about getting sued - if anything happens, I would prefer (I'm going to sound like a jerk) to have the loss on the school, they've got millions of dollars, I... don't.

Once I figure out everything, I might PM you where it is and invite you to come on down. I've got plenty of help with it already, but I'd love to let MFK'ers come see it (I would love to, however I still need to check with the school because I'm not sure they would want random people coming in just to see the tank).
No your not at all sounding lie a jerk.
Pm me and let me know some details and budgets. I am a milwright/machinist so I knew what stuff is worth

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
No your not at all sounding lie a jerk.
Pm me and let me know some details and budgets. I am a milwright/machinist so I knew what stuff is worth
Sounds good. I've not even mentioned a budget to him yet, that will come later. Right now, I'm concerned about getting money and driving to Greensboro to get these macaws though. A bonded pair of a blue and gold and a greenwing macaw, who have been together for 15 years and who both talk? For 1200? That's an exceptional deal, especially when it comes with a cage.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Sounds good. I've not even mentioned a budget to him yet, that will come later. Right now, I'm concerned about getting money and driving to Greensboro to get these macaws though. A bonded pair of a blue and gold and a greenwing macaw, who have been together for 15 years and who both talk? For 1200? That's an exceptional deal, especially when it comes with a cage.
I would buy them myself honestly

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I would buy them myself honestly
I don't have room (or money) to buy them. However I'll be working with them every day, so what's the difference? Hell, they wouldn't even care if I took them home, just at night time and over breaks. I'm watching you, you're gonna get it if you buy those birds :D

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
The 600 gallon saltwater tank - I am toying with the idea of a green moray eel. Do you think that one could live in an 8x4x2.5 tank? They get to be 8 feet long. I know about the no-tankmate situation, I'm willing to make that trade-off.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I'm probably being pretty annoying constantly bumping this thread, but what would you suggest the combination be if I wanted to keep a green moray, but also a native tank? Maybe make the moray tank 12' long versus 8', and then add another 75 up top and make it the SW native tank? The green moray would be the main inhabitant of that tank, maybe I would try tankmates but for the most part it would just be the green moray. I'm going to contact www.divertom.com and see what sizes of greens he can get.

Maybe do a barracuda as a tankmate. I want to keep a large angel, maybe I will add a queen into the sump of this tank :D

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Literally sounds EXACTLY like your other threads (including the ones under your other sign on). You want to stock these "monster" tanks before your'e build even takes off, which in not a single thread of yours has a build taken off. Not to be a Debby Downer but I seriously doubt this one does either, probably just another "pipe dream". Why not put all this energy towards something you can actually obtain or build and enjoy.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Literally sounds EXACTLY like your other threads (including the ones under your other sign on). You want to stock these "monster" tanks before your'e build even takes off, which in not a single thread of yours has a build taken off. Not to be a Debby Downer but I seriously doubt this one does either, probably just another "pipe dream". Why not put all this energy towards something you can actually obtain or build and enjoy.
I mean you're entitles to your opinion. The other ones were pipeline dreams, yes. This one is for real. It's actually going to come together. It may not be 100% what's written here, I'm not sure yet, but it will hopefully be pretty close. Feel free to doubt it all you want though

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Yea I hate to doubt or down anyone who has plans and ambition but nothing about this makes any sense in reality specially when you got people on here DOING major projects and actually putting in the time effort and sweat into it , kind of a slap in their faces imo But watch him actually do everything he's saying than I'll look like an ass lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store