Overly aggressive temensis...any ideas?

The True Guapote

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
Current setup is a standard 75g tank (48"x18") footprint, running a Fx6, maxi-jet 600 power head, and 250w heater. Tank temp stays around 79-80F. Currently in the tank I have 1 temensis and 3 kelberi. The temensis is a solid 3" or so and the kelberi are anywhere from 2-2.5" is estimate. I have several pieces of driftwood in the tank also. The temensis is very aggressive towards the other bass, butts into them and chases them a little more than I'm comfortable with. I'm upgrading to a 125g (72"x18") this weekend in hopes the extra space calms down some of the aggression but I'm curious if anyone else had any constructive suggestions? I do have a small school of red-blue tetras that are systematically being killed off, started off with 6 and I'm down to 4 with one almost dead. I'd go with silver dollars as dithers but I'm trying to keep a few live plants in the tank. Would adding more bass help? I was debating on picking up a couple melaniae from aqua scape in hopes they'd start to school as a group as opposed to one species attacking another.

image.jpeg

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
What's the point asking questions if your not going to listen?

The temp in your tank is also too low. Needs to be at a minimum of 82-84 for baby cichla to keep them from contracting ich. 86 is my perferred temp for juvies. Make sure there is a few air stones in there to keep O2 levels up.

ANd like I said, the tem is going to outgrow those kelberi 2 to 1 no problem. I give it less than a week before he starts eating your kelberi. And why upgrade to a measly 125g? THats only going to get you a few months with that temensis. You may as well go to a 180g at the very least. But that still isnt going to get you much time to properly care for a temensis. On the other hand the kelberi could last in the 180 for a solid year or so. But even a 180g is not enough tank for adult cichla. I have 3 bass in a 450g and I feel they could use an upgrade in the future.

The True Guapote

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
I do listen-I realize how big temensis get. That's why I only have one. The reason I'm upgrading to a measly 125 is because I'm ordering a custom tank this fall when I get my yearly bonus. I turned down the temperature because I thought it might help with the temensis' aggression if it was lower.
Maybe instead of being arrogant, you might try actually helping with helpful information. My fish are 3" right now, the extra 6" of depth a 180 offers over a 125 is almost irrelevant as they're the same length, at least in my opinion.

Reactions: fishmarket

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I do listen-I realize how big temensis get. That's why I only have one. The reason I'm upgrading to a measly 125 is because I'm ordering a custom tank this fall when I get my yearly bonus. I turned down the temperature because I thought it might help with the temensis' aggression if it was lower.
Maybe instead of being arrogant, you might try actually helping with helpful information. My fish are 3" right now, the extra 6" of depth a 180 offers over a 125 is almost irrelevant as they're the same length, at least in my opinion.
What else do you want to hear?
YOur bass need to be seperated or the tem will eat them.
Rather than asking the same question again and again....maybe listen.
It doesnt matter if you got 10 tems or 1. They dont mix with kelberi as growouts.
And a 125g will not last a properly cared for temensis til fall.
And yes, that extra 6'' of depth makes a world of difference.
We all have our own opinions, some are just wrong.

The True Guapote

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
Melaniae maybe? Had my eye on those from Aquascape....would definitely love to get a couple azuls too. I've never kept intermedia before!

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
I had 2 temensis & 2 kelberi in a 30g growout tank. When I bought them, they all were in the same tank (much larger tank though). But after few weeks with the eating habits of temensis they started growing exponentially and started attacking the kelberi. I didn't have spare tanks to move them, ultimately they killed the two kelberi and then the tems were feeling uncomfortable in the 30g tank, ended up banging in to the walls all the time. Yesterday I moved them to my 300g and they are much better now. I think azuls would have a better chance with tems.

The True Guapote

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
I picked up my 125 last night. Got it all setup today and put the 3 kelberi in it and left the temensis in the 75. Not sure what I'll do with the tem, if it's too aggressive to be housed with the larger school, I suppose I'll have to sell it.
The tem was definitely running them around and bumping into them, so something had to change. I'm not sure if the tem would continue to harass them in the 125 or not but on gangster's advice, I'll just look at getting some other species that can cohabit with my kelberi. Sorry to hear about yours getting killed, that really hurts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store