Overflow Modification

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Swimming in a mountain river
So I have a 375 I'm working on, reinforcing seals(with weld-on 40), and I was wondering if there are any concerns to making the overflow slits longer? It's going to be a turtle and fish tank, so it'd like the water level just a little lower than it would currently be. Could I Dremel it? Or could the vibration damage the seal in any way? Should I extend every slit or can I do every other? Never done anything like this, and always had canister filters, so this is all new :) This is a picture of the overflow.

14619647784761096032317.jpg

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
This is the time to do it since you don't have fish yet. There's folks that have created jigs to get a nicef fit and finish. If that were me I would do all of them equally based on how low you wanted the water.

Reactions: Cloudk

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
This is how it looks right now. Waiting for good weather before starting the reinforcing and figured now would be a good time to make any modifications. So the vibration won't hurt the seal then. Any suggestions on which bit to use would be awesome. I'm probably removing less than half inch. Not much, but I still want to do it right. Don't want to waste $1000 ;)

1461970020304-625156850.jpg

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I cannot say definitely if it would loosen the glue, but I honestly think it's unlikely if it was bonded properly to begin with. I have 260G with internal overflow on one of the sides of the tank. I wanted to increase flow as well and lower the water so it wouldn't hit the eurobrace. My tank was up and running and I knew trying to cut lower teeth would be difficult and would not look nice in my situation. I ended up creating a jig to great 1/2" holes across the wall under the teeth. It achieved what I wanted and looked much cleaner than had I tried to use a dremel. But that was my situation. Do you have a router and would you have working space...just some other ideas for you.

I have a thread where I showed my mod as well.

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
I cannot say definitely if it would loosen the glue, but I honestly think it's unlikely if it was bonded properly to begin with. I have 260G with internal overflow on one of the sides of the tank. I wanted to increase flow as well and lower the water so it wouldn't hit the eurobrace. My tank was up and running and I knew trying to cut lower teeth would be difficult and would not look nice in my situation. I ended up creating a jig to great 1/2" holes across the wall under the teeth. It achieved what I wanted and looked much cleaner than had I tried to use a dremel. But that was my situation. Do you have a router and would you have working space...just some other ideas for you.

I have a thread where I showed my mod as well.
I'd love to see! Any other ideas are appreciated!

HEMP111

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2015
Greenville SC area
Your about to redo the seals anyway with the Weldon aren't you? If so then what could it hurt that your not redoing anyway? As long as you don't crack anything you should be fine with the Dremel, but that being said, I like the drilled hole idea better. It has less potential of cracking the overflow it self.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store