When did all leos become BD?

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Put me in line Don :)
Consider it done, I am not about making money. I am all about the hobby. Havent in 30 years why start now.

Reactions: JK47

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
One will be coming back at you at some point if you're interested:)

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I do love these threads.... but I do think at this point it is moot for a couple reasons
1) I think the asians have mastered the "BD" look whether through hybrids or line breeding who knows
2) Wild "BD" from sao felix looks less like BDS then the line bred BDs (not all the "traits")
3) so many people were sold "pure BD" from unknown sources the genes are in the BD gene pool
4)with the huge rise in hybrid prices it no longer matters other then the look

IMG_5522.JPG

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Before it gets "ugly"? It's just a discusion.... Or maybe you're like me and get a little short when people put their own labels on your rays without knowing squat about them.... Kinda like my "Castexi" that come from the Sao Felix for yellow rays, yet are just "Castexi" that get big and ugly..... lol. I never meant to imply that your rays are/aren't BDs, also don't know what breeds there, I'm simply a little "bothered" by the constant miss use /interpretation of "BD" and all the "BD" Mutts. Just seems everything is BD anymore.

Most people selling pups have no problem sharing the lineage.... Why not? Shouldn't we be proud of the genes they have? I just think it's suspicious when people won't share.... Didn't think it would be asking too much as I'm very quick to share pics of the family of rays mine are coming from. That's why I said it should be job of the breeder to prove/share what the ray is. I'm all about getting rays from hobbyists and most hobbyists care enough to keep track, as opposed to a pond full of rays could be this or that imports.
Listen I think we are more both on the same page than we think. The difference is you may likely have a very different experience from me, due to your dedication to the hobby vs. mine, as well as being in the U.S.A. It's actually quite different in Canada, one of the problems is I think I speak for a lot of ray people when I say I wish we could get what you get. That being said we CAN get the same as you, it just costs us double, putting it out of reach for a lot of people. (Side note, try getting the good parts and equipment for anything here, if you do you gotta pay, and all those Free shipping offers tend to be U.S only).

Here's my thing though, if I walked into a shop or another hobbyist home for the purposes of a purchase, if someone calls their ray a black diamond I think it's a waste of breath to try to give the spiel to anyone anymore, I just a) judge the fish in front of me and b) take a picture and get an ID, and c) if for info on parents if I care to, if the ray looks nice to me I could care less to press for much details other than what they say the species are. So, bearing in mind I am nothing if not transparent if you look at any single one of my ads, I personally don't think ID'ing a P13 leopoldi that has unbelievable spotting as a black diamond is a terrible thing. Black diamonds are worth more for a reason, and I personally wouldn't pay any fair sum of money for one of these "uglier" (my term) Sao Felix I hear of even if they were called 24K Gold Black Diamond. Hell look at all the hybrids selling for 5, possibly 6 figures in asia, more white than black. I would never ever call those black diamond, I would rather take issue with that than having a BDxLEO with remarkable patterns be called a BD, especially since it seems there is some disagreement about what the term means. The single only reason I label BDxLeo (and most times explain parents in the ad) is because I would never take the risk of a customer cussing me out for the ray not being pure or telling him it was a BD, I prefer to err on the side of caution so that people know exactly. If they want to call the ones of the litter that follow dads genes and not moms BD's, and their friends agree, sweet bro. Maybe one day if/when I am breeding more regularly I may start calling the ones with the BD traits BD's and the other ones leo's, who knows, it depends on how the term is used at that time, I'm not ruling it out, for now this works.

Last edited:

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Went from informative to angry pride ridden arguments lmfao. I just like stingrays, why argue about it lol
I didnt see any arguments just people placing their opinion. Thought this thread was very helpful as I know I have talked with a few people on the subject. Good question good posts keep sharing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store