Should/cCould I get an aro ? crash course

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
Jaws if you get a small one especially silver grow it out in an aquarium by itself , they are very fragile less than 7" imo and also small Aro won't have to compete for food.
Even smaller I have not noticed anything that I would call fragile. I have actually never lost a silver aro.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
As Nero pointed out silvers are nice but are very prone to getting dropeye.The African Arowana is also worth looking into.

Reactions: jaws7777

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Lol. He's advising you to get an albino silver arowana. He says they are expensive but the care is the same as a regular silver or black. He has a few baby silver arowanas he is growing out, but is only going to keep one. He also advises you to be careful because they can jump an injure themselves if startled. Lastly he wants to pump his arowanas up by feeding them crickets.
Anyways... Lei's are really awesome fish. I had one that was really beautiful... Spots everywhere! Nicer than any jardini. Cost a lot too... Raised him from a 3inch baby to over two feet long... Untill I found him dead behind the tank...

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
As Nero pointed out silvers are nice but are very prone to getting dropeye.The African Arowana is also worth looking into.
I found that not feeding them live foods and keeping them strictly on pellets, as well as keeping their attention upwards by floating a pack of ping pong balls in my (bare) tank greatly helps in the prevention of dropeye. I never feed my arowanas live food, they are easily spoilt on live foods and will refuse pellets... Also in my opinion the African aro is the ugliest aro in the aro family. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have heard of the use of ping pong balls .

Reactions: ECW

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
]

I have no idea what you're saying here...
I suggested he get an albino arowana since it's a color difference and same level of keeping a silver arowana and that Arowana like to jump and must have lids on the tank. I suggested feeding live crickets for juvenile to get them to size or buy them a little larger.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Lol. He's advising you to get an albino silver arowana. He says they are expensive but the care is the same as a regular silver or black. He has a few baby silver arowanas he is growing out, but is only going to keep one. He also advises you to be careful because they can jump an injure themselves if startled. Lastly he wants to pump his arowanas up by feeding them crickets.
Anyways... Lei's are really awesome fish. I had one that was really beautiful... Spots everywhere! Nicer than any jardini. Cost a lot too... Raised him from a 3inch baby to over two feet long... Untill I found him dead behind the tank...
Thanks

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I think a black or lei would be good, silver might need more width in the long run. Blacks are more slender and don't get as large as silvers. And a jar might be a killer, depends on the specimen and whether or not you wanna take that risk.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks guys... any other advice you can give me are they difficult to pellet train ? And special water requirements high flow rate ?

Whats growth rate like

Last edited:

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
My 9" Lei is well on it's way on pellets and in my experience not hard to train. IMO, water parameters are generally the same as any tropical FW. Of course there are listed preferences for aro, but nothing they could adapt to in a community tank.

Flow just depends on how you want your tank set up. I like a lot of surface water agitation. For the gas exchanges and how it looks with moving water. I say 1" / month average?

That is a great tank you'll have jaws, for an Aro!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store