Fatal or not?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
that thing is a beast.....IMO, he's just gonna keep picking off fish until he is in a tank by himself anyway. Why not save a few fish before it happens. That Puffer can't be kept with much, and certainly not the ones he's with now. I wouldn't even put that thing in with a CAIMAN. I bet he'd even take chunks out of stingrays
Yeah fahaka should be kept alone. I've seen people keep them with rays I cringe when I see picw lol

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Yeah fahaka should be kept alone. I've seen people keep them with rays I cringe when I see picw lol
the sharp beak, jaw strength, and shape....no doubt it could go through crocodilian armor.....Gator Gar too. Achilles1763 Achilles1763 - their main diet in the wild are "things in shells".....and they CRUSH the shells before dicing their prey to pieces with the beaks....I wasn't cracking a joke about the snapping turtle.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Again thanks for your in put gents, important matters first the GT is eating pellets and the damaged meat has fallen off. So hopefully it will heal up.

I know full well what my fahaka eats as I have kept numerous puffers over the years and I feed them crabs, crayfish and whole cockles and clams which they munch through.

I will continue the experiment to see what can live with her. At the moment I can rule out fish that are too small and motionless (the poor little jag) and the aggressive fish.. The GT which decided to take on a fish 6 times its size. So peaceful fish are the way to go you can see the dithers in the pictures I have already posted and the Oscar who is living quite happily and below is my ornate birchir.. Again no issues.

If a time arises where the fahaka become too dangerous to live with others she will have the tank to herself.

image.jpeg

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Usually one lesson is good enough and you should learn from it. I learned an arowana even with a tank divider will jump over... He was a skeleton he got into a grow out tank of flowerhorns lol

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
the sharp beak, jaw strength, and shape....no doubt it could go through crocodilian armor.....Gator Gar too. Achilles1763 Achilles1763 - their main diet in the wild are "things in shells".....and they CRUSH the shells before dicing their prey to pieces with the beaks....I wasn't cracking a joke about the snapping turtle.
I'm pretty sure you can't maintain a fahaka at this size without knowing about that. If you don't provide them enough shells their teeth can overgrow requiring manual clipping. @op I wouldn't comm this guy with anything you care too much about, but I'm guessing your willing to accept it. How long have you had this one?

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Woefulrelic, I have had her 18 months now and she hit 12 inches in a year! She is now 14 inches. You are total correct regarding the diet, when young it's mainly anything they will eat but after 6 inches it need to be primarily 'crunchy' food. Manual clipping of teeth is a nightmare... I tried with my South American puffers but it is horrific for both fish and owner. So when I got my hairy puffer (who is a total killer) and then the fahaka I made sure that a diet heavy in shell on food was the order. Since then I have never had to clip their teeth. Watching her crush a whole clam for the first time is quite impressive and you respect the teeth! My fahaka and hairy puffer have come very close to taking a chunk out of me! But you learn fast with puffers lol

Reactions: Woefulrelic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store