3 Silvers + black or jar

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
I've got a 210 7x2x2. I've got 3 silvers with several other fish right now. 18", 12" and 8". The 18" was first followed by the 8". He came in smaller than expected and the big aro beat him. I made enough cover for him after the first day and he it did well. The 18 now picks on the 12 a little, the 8 stays away in the fake plants for the most part. There's a little aggression but it's decreased with time and with the addition of the 3rd aro.. as expected. I assume that once the 8" realizes that the coast has cleared, or at least changed, he'll spend more time than he has out and aggression will decrease more.

I want a black and/or a jar as well. What are your thoughts from experience? I plan to upgrade to a 6x4x2 for their final home in the next 12 months. I do 75% water changes twice a week and currently run about 3000gph through their 210. I'll run at least 4000 gph through their future home and also plan on a constant changer. I've had up to 4 aros in an 8x4x2 at my old house and no aggression issues at all. I worry about adding a higher dollar aro to the mix. The 480 had only silvers. I kept the jars and blacks separate.

current:

Old for your viewing pleasure
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
I miss these fish.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I think you need to get rid of all of them if a 6x4 is your final plan... Not to be rude. That's not enough for one silver let alone 3 or4-5. 4' is good for width, but 6' is not good for length, these fish are active swimmers and need room to stretch out. However I think the tank you have now and the final plan is good for a jar, lei, maybe a black. I still haven't seen a black over 30" so that's why I say maybe.

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
If it's fine for a black its fine for a silver. Full grown they really are no difference. I've had both full grown. I got a 30" aro once from a guy who kept it in a 75g. I would never do that but it was surprisingly healthy and looked just fine.

My question is regarding aggression.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Blacks and silvers mix great together. A lei will also fit that mix well.
But jardini is a roll of the dice.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
If it's fine for a black its fine for a silver. Full grown they really are no difference. I've had both full grown. I got a 30" aro once from a guy who kept it in a 75g. I would never do that but it was surprisingly healthy and looked just fine.

My question is regarding aggression.
So you're saying you've had a 4' black? Pics please. A 4' silver isn't unheard of, people just don't keep them long enough. Like I've stated I've not seen a black over 30" whereas silvers over 3' are common. A silver can get to 2' within a year under optimum conditions. A black? Never heard of that. Their bodies are built different, with blacks being much thinner in overall body mass. They're thinner and shorter as far as height of the body when compared to a equal length silver. Which would leave one to believe they might be more flexible. IMO silvers require larger set ups. They grow faster and bigger. If it is ok for a black, it is not ok for a silver. But to each his own. As to your question, aggression wise they will be fine, I'd only worry about the jar if you get one, he'd likely bully the rest once large enough to do so.

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
Ok... so no jar. My only experience with a jar in the past wasn't great either.

I had a BIG black. It wasn't as bulky as the silvers but would have been as long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store