Votes: 2 66.7%
  • any

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Brix Pacis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2016
Good Day fellow fish keepers. Any suggestion on how to train silver arowana to recognize me? cuz when i go near its aquarium he easily spooked and he swim away. any suggestion on how to train them?

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
How long have you had it? If youre the one feeding him he will learn to recognize you, don't worry about it.

Reactions: Dee eng

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
Just sit in front of your tank for hours and days in a week or so it'll get use to you. Jk, agree with above, it'll take time. Those lil guys are very skiddish when they're young. Patience my friend! Sooner or later he's gonna look at you and beg for food which is pretty kewl.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Pull up a chair and observe. Move slowly. I have had 3 Aros that ate from my hands. My Jardini let me pet it and would rub on my arm when it was in the tank. It will take some time but the younger it is when you start working with it the better.

Reactions: Evz jardini

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I've had mine side it was about 3 or 4", it's now about 18" it immediately recognizes me when I enter the room. It is spooked by other people but it knows I'm the guy with the food. I feed it by hand, it swims right up and eats out of my hand. Time will allow it to relate you with food.

Reactions: Dee eng

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yup as others have said it takes time. My 9" Lei is still spooked seeing others besides me. Even I spook him sometimes.

But it does eat krill from my fingers and knows I'm the food guy.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I had a silver aro that I grew from 4" to about 28". After a year of having it, I could literally 'pet' it and it wouldn't get spooked. So I concur with others and say that it takes time. Also, the more you mess around with your aquarium (rearranging decorations, netting out fish, etc...) the longer it will take. Because each time you do it, you're reenforcing the fright & flight behavior in your aro...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store