Are these malaysian trumpet snails?

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I added these to my tank for my future puffer to eat but never ended up getting a puffer so now they're just running rampant in my tank. I don't mind if they're not harmful that's why I chose what I thought were MTS. But the lady that gave them to me told me they were assassin snails which I know isn't true.

I'm just curious though because ever since I added them to my tank it's been crazy. Fish have been dying plants look like crap and I can't figure out what it is. I'm curious if it has anything to do with these guys.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Yeah, those little buggers are a pain. Get rid of them now or live with them in your tank till you break everything down, throw away your gravel, and wash out any deco and plants... I tried taking them out by hand and even traps... IME they don't harm plants and your fish shouldn't be affected unless they brought a disease in there. Not harmful.

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
easy to believe MTS are running rampant, hard to believe they destroy plants, extemely hard to believe they are responsible for death of fish, unless possibly the tank is really small, and they are literally rampant (in 1000's, maybe they could then excrete enough to foul water).

For the most MTS are good for a tank, but they can run rampant.

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Damn. I was hoping that was the issue.

PH 7.8 0 ammonia nitrates and nitrites. The tank has been running for months almost a year but it's heavily planted. Hence the no nitrates or nitrites. Although I only started putting prime in my tank during water changes three months ago. Newer house and didn't think about the chlorine in the water. But I've had probably 8 apistos die and 4 dwarf pikes 3 kuhli loaches and 3 sa puffers. Although some of which I'll contribute to my heater died killing off my 1 crenicichla compressicep. As it was struggling to come back I put salt in the tank to try and help. Not realizing that it's not good for South Americans. Especially the puffers they all died because of that. Then I replaced them with 3 apisto cacatuoide all of which died for no apparent reason. No marks or visible diseases. Then I waited a while before adding 3 apisto agassizi and 3 crenicichla notos. 2 of each died that night for no apparent reason. I went and got three more apistos just because the sale was great on them and I was afraid to miss my chance. Well they all died as well just leaving the noto which died the next day.

And that's been my last year in a nut shell. Now I have a bunch of feeder guppies in there by themselves (like 40) along with two mbuna fry I got for free for the last month with nearly no fatalities. I just got them as testers to see if they'd make it. They're growing and coloring up. Probably breeding. I don't understand.

The only thing I can think of is the pH was too high but I've read that as long as the pH is stable you shouldn't have an issue unless it's a wild caught fish.

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Yea I knew MTS are supposed to be good for the tank but I was thinking maybe these guys are just not MTS (like I said the lady said they were assassin snails that kill fish and stuff. But I figured she just saw them eating fish carcasses and assumed they killed the fish) I just wanted to double check that that's not the issue in my tank. I don't mind the little buggers

Edit tank is a 50 gal. And they're not that rampant. If I look around I'll only see maybe 10 at a time (knowing there's more in the sand and whatnot)

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Well, snails can be vectors for numerous diseases/parasites. So there could be a chance something did come in with them. IMHO

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Edit tank is a 50 gal. And they're not that rampant. If I look around I'll only see maybe 10 at a time (knowing there's more in the sand and whatnot)
Right now... Just wait. I have a low tec planted with some Angels. I can count... Wait I can't count them! There are way too much!!!

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Hmmm that would make sense seeing as I got them as pests from petsmart tanks. Those are probably riddled with disease. I guess you don't really think about snails transmitting fish disease. Especially without them eating them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store