No hope? ready to euthanize.

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
so i woke up this morning. mayan cichlid dead, whole tail gone. bay snook's face absolutely destroyed. looks like top lip pulled down so far its stuck. i think it tried to eat the mayan, mayan was too big, and it got stuck/dislocated. i dont think it can eat like this. any chance it goes back into place or should i just clove oil now.IMG_20160430_135828_626.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
night night time. IMHO

Iceberg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
I dunno I've reset their mouths before might be worth a shot. If I remember correctly there's a long skinny bit that fits in a pocket in the skull. So kinda pull top jaw out a bit and try to find the "pocket" and give him a few days to see if it regains function. Probably got a 50/50 shot

Reactions: Frank Castle

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
tried but doesn't seem like i'm gonna be able to do it. will give another day or two to maybe try again or see if it works itself into place but not getting my hopes up at this point.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
do you think it will be able to eat? thats my biggest concern is that i'd basically be letting it starve to death
As it is I don't think he will be able to eat. If it swells down he may live no problem. I mean that you have the ability to reserve your decision. If you starved this fish for a month he would not die, so you have time to see if he can recover. I only euthenize fish when I am confident that there quality of life has hit the ****ter. Fish live happily with a missing eye, a missing fin and can regenerate better than any terrestrial creature I know of. If the fish continue to have the droopy mouth and can't eat for a week, this thread becomes highly relevant.

Reactions: Frank Castle

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
thanks. i've dealt with missing eye/missing fins. this is just new. i'll see how it goes. i dont want to lose the fish but i also dont want to cause it to have a bad quality of life. we'll see what happens

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
well right now it looks like he's trying to eat but i can't tell how successful it is. he does swim around a lot. lip is turning darker reddish, almost like a bruise. doesn't look like he's moving around in pain so i guess the big thing to watch for is eating/starvation

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store