Questions about Lince Cat.

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Need some insight from experienced members here especially those who had kept or keeping Lince cats.

I know they don't ship well and DOA is always a possibility. At the moment I am trying to work out with a seller apportioning the cost if the Lince doesn't make it - a 6-8 hours trip by bus transport.

Need to know: even if the Lince survives; does it mean everything will be fine once I get him into the tank - good clean water parameters?

Should I ask for an additional coverage of 1-2 days in case they are prone to SDS after travel?

Any thoughts from those who rear Lince before? If they are alive upon arrival; are they hardy once inside the tank?

Sincere thanks.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sorry, I won't be of much help. Very reasonable questions, given how rare and expensive they are. Are you thinking of getting the 20" one from Primo Aquatics for a grand?

##############################################

Need some insight from experienced members here especially those who had kept or keeping Lince cats.
******Never had them but I am a wannabee. Read about them every time I see a report on them.

I know they don't ship well and DOA is always a possibility.
*******AFAIK that pertains to shipping from South America.

At the moment I am trying to work out with a seller apportioning the cost if the Lince doesn't make it - a 6-8 hours trip by bus transport.

Need to know: even if the Lince survives; does it mean everything will be fine once I get him into the tank - good clean water parameters?

Should I ask for an additional coverage of 1-2 days in case they are prone to SDS after travel?
*******I hope someone with extensive firsthand experience will chime in on this. No sensible seller will give anyone any warranty once the fish is out of the seller's bag. DOA or sick-on-arrival is all we can ask for imho.

Any thoughts from those who rear Lince before? If they are alive upon arrival; are they hardy once inside the tank?
*******I have not come across any accounts that they are not hardy but usually people cite the demanding keeping conditions - lots of oxygen and LOTS of space.

Reactions: Red Aimara

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Sincere thanks for the response. :)

This fish is at 14-16 inches and from a fellow hobbyist. There is a runner who will help in packaging and transporting.

It's a right occasion that seller wants the fish out and is willing to negotiate on the terms - due to the exorbitant price; want to see if I can ask for slightly better deal besides DOA.

It will be a 60 / 40 split if the fish dont make it. Too risky?

Lince is one of those that always got away due to DOA risk - never available within 10 minute drive from my house LOL!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
A friend of mine who really knows his stuff has killed 2 14 inchers in his 7x2x2, apparently they smash themselves up all the time in a tank that size then randomly die...
That's as much as I can offer,

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I was gonna say I don't think your tank is big enough for one from what I've read... But I just rather tag someone with personal experience lol

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
I had one successfully in a 750 gallon tank and that would be as small as I would recommend for one of these fish. They are very fast active swimmers and eat a lot. Mine could swim full blast from one end of my 10ft tank to the other end in a blink of an eye and turn just as fast. They don't ship well and it is very risky. I bought mine from an experienced shipper that was about 1.5hrs away from my house. He packed my Lince in a huge bag and added a special chemical to calm it down. Even then I rushed it home and acclimated it to my tank with water dripping. When I put it in my tank I didn't think it was going to make it. It sunk to the bottom breathing really hard and then turned on its side. I thought it was a goner but it suddenly snapped out of it and started swimming. Once acclimated and settled in they are pretty hardy. I had mine for about two years and it would eat smelt out of my hand. When I sold it I told the buyer to go straight home and don't stop anywhere. He didn't listen to me and the fish died in the way to his house because he took too long. I wouldn't recommend this fish to anyone unless you have a 750++ gallon tank and a lot of experience in fishkeeping. They are a very neat catfish for sure. I would recommend a redtail catfish to someone before a Lince lol

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Thanks for all the advise shared.

Looks like even if the Lince could make it to my tank; I wouldn't be able to provide it with a large enough tank to thrive.

Will drop this until I am better ready for it. :)

Reactions: justarn

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Thanks for all the advise shared.

Looks like even if the Lince could make it to my tank; I wouldn't be able to provide it with a large enough tank to thrive.

Will drop this until I am better ready for it. :)
DB said somewhere between his dorados and lince swimming so actively and fast that they make the tank look small. And his tank is 10x4

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store