Fatal or not?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Time for a collective unbunching of panties ladies... They are fish... We eat them...
Okay I'll give you a 1k to eat your puffer without going to the ER. If they are just fish we eat them why on gods earth are you asking opinions them it's just a fish right.

@frankcastle honestly you're right I'm out too lol

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Woefulrelic, I have had her 18 months now and she hit 12 inches in a year! She is now 14 inches. You are total correct regarding the diet, when young it's mainly anything they will eat but after 6 inches it need to be primarily 'crunchy' food. Manual clipping of teeth is a nightmare... I tried with my South American puffers but it is horrific for both fish and owner. So when I got my hairy puffer (who is a total killer) and then the fahaka I made sure that a diet heavy in shell on food was the order. Since then I have never had to clip their teeth. Watching her crush a whole clam for the first time is quite impressive and you respect the teeth! My fahaka and hairy puffer have come very close to taking a chunk out of me! But you learn fast with puffers lol
It's always good to see a fahaka doing well in long term care. These guys are certainly up there on my bucket list, and hearing that you can avoid the manual clippings pretty confidently gives me more enthusiasm going forward. As long as you understand the risks associated with the fahaka I don't see what the fuss is about. I would be interested in seeing her (are they sexually dimorphic?) smash a clam if you have the means to put up a vid. As for treatment I think this is one of those hope for the best scenarios, unless you see any fungal or bacterial fun near the wounds.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Okay I'll give you a 1k to eat your puffer without going to the ER. If they are just fish we eat them why on gods earth are you asking opinions them it's just a fish right.

@frankcastle honestly you're right I'm out too lol
lol sad part is actually really thought this guy was a coolass dude at 1st.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Ihsnshaik... It's a matter of context.. The fahaka, no I love her to much.. The GT I would eat him... Alive... For free... just for you lol.

woefulrelic, fahaka are the most interactive fish I have ever encountered. Puffers are always more intelligent than most fish (much like oscars) and you get hooked! Like me with a history of multiple species. Every time I set up a tank I think puffers.. Or maybe snakeheads lol. But fahaka if you have the tank size are really not hard to care for and the rewards of owning one are spectacular. Every day she recognises me and begs for food, bouncing up and down the glass.. She is adorable. Fahakas are hard to determine but the guy at the shop it's a lass.. But at 0.5 of an inch I have no idea how he knew... But I went with it. I will see what I can do about posting a video.. But if you have a free tank I cannot recommend one highly enough.

Reactions: Woefulrelic

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
And yet 'punisher'and the other fella.. You are still posting?

Gents, I bear no ill will, we all are in this hobby for different things I just like predators and have different perspective.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Alright like you said I want to see you eat your green terror alive.. Record it and YouTube it for me :)

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Better than me, I assign sex to my monomorphic species as I see fit. I'm jealous of the snakeheads you get to keep, you certainly seem to appreciate fish with personality. I put a lot of consideration into picking up a fahaka but my current second largest tank is a 75, and Lord knows a fahaka won't go anywhere near my rays. Fortunately rays are a strong personality fish so I don't feel like I'm missing out. Hopefully I could build a 240 or similar around a fahaka with some community members, but I realize that would be a luxury and I wouldn't chance a prized possession. Keep your head up and hopefully you can give us a vid that makes us cringe at the thought of tank maintenance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store