filtration advice

butchie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
orlando
It moves X amount of water per hour, but it does not turn the entire volume of the tank in that time. Every time it moves the volume of the tank, it is also being diluted by the water that is in the tank. I have a book that gives the actual formula for determining how it works.
MIND BLOWN, yeah that makes total sense. Let me know if you come up with a reference for that equation I'm not even sure what to Google to find it

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
MIND BLOWN, yeah that makes total sense. Let me know if you come up with a reference for that equation I'm not even sure what to Google to find it
Dang, you made me get off my butt and get the book out. Aquatic Systems Engineering: Devices and How They Function by PR Escobal. Chapter 2 Turnover. The cheapest place I found was on EBay.

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Why is that? Just inaccurate published data by the manufacturer or something else that idk?
Thanks
Also you have got to remember that the flow rate of a pump that is on the box is worked out with having a head hight of 0, as soon as you start pumping water upwards, or around corners more force is required to move the water, and the flow rate will decrease.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Also, I think even though the max flow rates based on pipe diameter are known, I think realistically that's not achieved. I think most people running Herbie or Bean Animal end up closing off the drains with valves to reach equilibrium between drain and return. Me included.

Anyone think this isn't typically the case, please correct me. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store