Ordering New tank last minute questions

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Sometime the month I will be ordering the tank from midwestcustoms, been exchanging emails with chris for several month now and the guy has been great. The tank will be 3/4 acrylic inch all around and will be 96x 36 or 40 x 24.

Herbie style sump design. Basically copying ragin_cajun ragin_cajun design.

Will have 2 internal overflows Not sure exactly the placement yet. I'm thinking in both corners as it would be easier to see the standpipes and mess with the water level

2inch Emergancy and Main drains (gate valve) 1 inch returns. Not going to a high flowrate 1200 to 1500gph x 2 pumps. Figure the 2 inch drains will allow me to upgrade flowrate/pumps in the future if I decide to do so.

Metal stand considering having Chris build acrylic panels like J Jc1119 did in his 300 gal build. Suggestions welcomed on the stand lol

Can you guys think of anthying I need to tell/ask the builder ?

ragin_cajun ragin_cajun how low did you ask chris to install the sock holders ?

pacu mom pacu mom DN328 DN328 Woefulrelic Woefulrelic millerkid519 millerkid519 duanes duanes soupa2 soupa2 slippery slimecoat slippery slimecoat D davenmandy

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Think about where you want your tank water level to be and make sure the internal overflows can accommodate it.

In these setups, the teeth can be the bottleneck and not drain pipes.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Just a question, acrylic sheets generally come in 8x4 sheets to my understanding. Why not go for an 8x4x2? I bet you cost would be negligible, also a semi-standard size.

Reactions: Greenspot and Danh

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Universal Rocks has overflow covers
https://www.universalrocks.com/aquarium-reptile-pet/overflow-covers

Better yet, have you considered external overflow boxes? Just another option for you ---

doviiman had external overflow boxes built on the sides of his tank. (external overflow boxes on the side of the tank would work better if the tank was enclosed like doviiman did to his tank)

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-822-gallon-ext-aquarium-build-thread.442108/

mjuniorc has external overflow boxes on the back of his tank
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/ive-been-monsterized.379597/page-33

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I think where you will have the tank displayed and how it situated in your room could influence how you also should set-up the overflow system and plumbing.

You'll want to consider the ease of accessing for maintenance and in case issues come up. External boxes are good depending on you viewing sides. With you set-up, you may also want to consider coast-to-coast overflow that drains into you corner overflows. Thus way water is flowing in across the entire back length of the tank into the overflows. Oceans By Design has a visual to see.

Pacumom has a good point with overflow lids. If you like the clean look, I found. Marine board has worked best. Looks slick in any color and will never ever warp, unlike acrylic lids.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I didn't tell Chris anything about how low to put sock holders. He just put 'em where he thought they should go, and he was right. I once had the socks clog up, water just overflowing out of the top of the socks. If I'd have put the sock holders where I thought they should go, I'd have flooded the house. Chris put them several inches below the top of the sump, and put a a cover over the top of them, so if the socks clog, the overflow goes into the sump.

I wouldn't have thought to do that.

Reactions: jaws7777

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you are looking for.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Just a question, acrylic sheets generally come in 8x4 sheets to my understanding. Why not go for an 8x4x2? I bet you cost would be negligible, also a semi-standard size.
Mhh
Didnt think about that

Universal Rocks has overflow covers
https://www.universalrocks.com/aquarium-reptile-pet/overflow-covers

Better yet, have you considered external overflow boxes? Just another option for you ---

doviiman had external overflow boxes built on the sides of his tank. (external overflow boxes on the side of the tank would work better if the tank was enclosed like doviiman did to his tank)

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-822-gallon-ext-aquarium-build-thread.442108/

mjuniorc has external overflow boxes on the back of his tank
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/ive-been-monsterized.379597/page-33
Thx pacu mom i also didnt figure the backround and overflow boxes....

I think where you will have the tank displayed and how it situated in your room could influence how you also should set-up the overflow system and plumbing.

You'll want to consider the ease of accessing for maintenance and in case issues come up. External boxes are good depending on you viewing sides. With you set-up, you may also want to consider coast-to-coast overflow that drains into you corner overflows. Thus way water is flowing in across the entire back length of the tank into the overflows. Oceans By Design has a visual to see.

Pacumom has a good point with overflow lids. If you like the clean look, I found. Marine board has worked best. Looks slick in any color and will never ever warp, unlike acrylic lids.
Will look into the marine board

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store