3-4 inch Silver Aro

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
Hey MFKers,
So ive got this arowana almost about a week ago and hes eating like a champ. Ive had aros before but havent had much luck with them do to them not eating a staple diet. But this one is special and is Already on carnivore pellets i believe. I dont feed it anything else. My questions are...how much should i feed it a day? Cuz it is only about 3-4 inch. Should i feed it food other than pellets? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey MFKers,
So ive got this arowana almost about a week ago and hes eating like a champ. Ive had aros before but havent had much luck with them do to them not eating a staple diet. But this one is special and is Already on carnivore pellets i believe. I dont feed it anything else. My questions are...how much should i feed it a day? Cuz it is only about 3-4 inch. Should i feed it food other than pellets? Thanks in advance.

Yes try to add other foods , freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried mysis shrimp, I suggest freeze dried because it floats.

Reactions: JOSCAR05

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
I would say no. Keep it strictly on pellets. Pellets are enough to keep it happy and healthy without needing anything else. In my experience they don't like pellets much and if given a taste of live/frozen/or anything else that isn't a pellet they would much rather prefer to eat that. They will go on a hunger strike... But if you have to switch it up... I would give it freeze dried treats. Easier to aquire and disease free. I feed small aros two to three times a day not enough to make them completely satiated. Starving them once a week is a good idea too. I like to keep them active and always searching. Good luck with your aro!

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
I would say no. Keep it strictly on pellets. Pellets are enough to keep it happy and healthy without needing anything else. In my experience they don't like pellets much and if given a taste of live/frozen/or anything else that isn't a pellet they would much rather prefer to eat that. They will go on a hunger strike... But if you have to switch it up... I would give it freeze dried treats. Easier to aquire and disease free. I feed small aros two to three times a day not enough to make them completely satiated. Starving them once a week is a good idea too. I like to keep them active and always searching. Good luck with your aro![/QUOTE
Ok sounds good. The person who commented above said to try diff foods but u say they might take an interest in the other foods and might want those foods instead of pellets. And thats what i dont want. And 1 pellet is already big enough for it takes a while for him to swallow ne already.

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
I would say no. Keep it strictly on pellets. Pellets are enough to keep it happy and healthy without needing anything else. In my experience they don't like pellets much and if given a taste of live/frozen/or anything else that isn't a pellet they would much rather prefer to eat that. They will go on a hunger strike... But if you have to switch it up... I would give it freeze dried treats. Easier to aquire and disease free. I feed small aros two to three times a day not enough to make them completely satiated. Starving them once a week is a good idea too. I like to keep them active and always searching. Good luck with your aro!
Ok sounds good. The person who commented above said to try diff foods but u say they might take an interest in the other foods and might want those foods instead of pellets. And thats what i dont want. And 1 pellet is already big enough for it takes a while for him to swallow it already. So il feed it 2-3 ttimes a day and starve it once a week

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
My 3-4" ones will not eat pellets well they do but they throw it back out. Only brine shrimp they will eat as of right now. I wish mine would eat just pellets would make my feeding a so much easier lol

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I fed mine hakari food sticks broken in half, a couple of times a day at tat size. I agree if it eats pellets keep it on pellets for a few months. If you start using other foods feed pellets first then offer somting else after it had pellets.

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
My 3-4" ones will not eat pellets well they do but they throw it back out. Only brine shrimp they will eat as of right now. I wish mine would eat just pellets would make my feeding a so much easier lol
Oh no. Thats terrible. Well at least its eating something and hopefully u can ween him onto pellets soon. My last aros were the same and it was just annoying prepping it shrimp and stuffing pellets in it. Good luck with it man

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
Even though pellets is good for ALL fish but im not a big fan of keep feeding my fish same food all day every day. I like to mixed them up and variety off food. As far as Im concern, if my fish accept all kind or any kind of food, why keep feeding it same food. Indeed i agreed pellets are good for fish and its enough. Just very one have different input to this.

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Even though pellets is good for ALL fish but im not a big fan of keep feeding my fish same food all day every day. I like to mixed them up and variety off food. As far as Im concern, if my fish accept all kind or any kind of food, why keep feeding it same food. Indeed i agreed pellets are good for fish and its enough. Just very one have different input to this.
I like variety too. Some market shrimp, bluefin tuna, salmon, frozen bloodworms, etc... But not to my aro's. They won't touch pellets after they get a taste... Then I gotta deal with hunger strikes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store