New tank! mini monsters/growouts.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Ok, I was thinking of setting up a new tank for myself but my girlfriend said she wanted one so I'm giving her an old 75 gallon that needs to be cleaned out, I was gonna use this tank to replace my 75 gallon that cracked however I ran out and got the fish in a 55 first thing and they seem to be doing fine I think I'll just wait until they are larger before I upgrade even larger then a 75 gallon.
Any ideas?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
What kind of fish do u have now?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
So far I've sold her on black sand with some driftwood and plants for her tank I just need to find some easy plants that look nice without complicated lights and the CO2 thing a lot of guys are using, I'm leaning towards Amazon swords with Java moss and some Java ferns as I'll be the one most likely caring for the tank how does this sound? I know anything "Java" usually does well in home aquariums.
Also she wants a black ghost knife for the tank which I'm supper down to get for her I'm just wondering what other fish would work well with a BKN in a 75 gallon? I'll be giving her a supper small blood parrot someone gave me that they didn't want anymore that my parrots picked at so I figured give it to her to grow out since she thinks it's "cute", oh and also she'd/I'd like a little black or red tail shark would this work for the tank I think I've sold her on the idea if so? BTW I could also take on anything that out grows her tank in the future so this is just a thought.
Another option I was honestly thinking about getting for her is a Tiger dat I know they grow supper slow so a 75 would last some time for this fish at 1-2 inches and she really likes these she even begged me to get one for my tank however I was setting up brackish tank at the time and had no place for this type of dat.
The fish I want her to grow out for me personally in this tank would be 1 or 2 Bannded Leporinus also a slow grower however I've read these can be fin nippers so probably a big no with the ghost knife right? how would it work if they were fed very well everyday because they have similar markings to the dat she likes and they are a fish I've been wanting for some time.
Other then this I'm stumped could any other fish live in this tank with one BGK a BP and possibly a shark? I wanted to try a teacup stingray or getting 1 or 2 supper small Senegal bichir for this tank but she didn't really want any of these fish in "her tank". Lol just let me know and that would be awesome possibly something that could live in this tank for life possibly some attractive mini monsters?? BGK?? Blood Parrot?? Any ideas?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
What kind of fish do u have now?
Basically one small blood parrot, a black ghost knife and a black shark of some sort.
I'd like for her to get a pair of banded Leporinus but idk about aggression so I'm just looking for some cool mini monsters that would fit this tank and look nice nothing to ugly I like ugly but she doesn't. Lol

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think ur tank mates should be fine. Lepironus are a bit aggressive and get big so not with ur tankmates.

The datnoids, NTT but I'm not an expert. May get big and eat what can fit in their mouths. That's the concern really for ur tank.

Would suggest posting in the dat section on advice for it.

Tankscape looks great.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I think ur tank mates should be fine. Lepironus are a bit aggressive and get big so not with ur tankmates.

The datnoids, NTT but I'm not an expert. May get big and eat what can fit in their mouths. That's the concern really for ur tank.

Would suggest posting in the dat section on advice for it.

Tankscape looks great.
I was wanting her to grow the Leporinus out to maybe 6 inches then take them out and put them in my Oscars 180.
Also the other fish would take a long time to outgrow a 75 gallon I saw people keeping both dats and BGK in supper small designer tanks under 15 gallons which bugged me alittle but I read they grow so slow you can keep them like this when small like 1-2 inches, just like all the fish id be getting her would be also I'm sorry I posted a pic of the wrong shark is actually probably snag a true black shark and I'd take it on as well once large as It would be more then welcome in my GG tank once alittle bigger

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
That tank is gorgeous. I wish I could get pics like that of my BGK! Hope your gf is enjoying her tank :)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Great pics, how did you get em to sit still lol, what camera?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store