White spots on Fire Eel not sure its ick

C.Bargman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2015
So first. Yes, I have done lots of reading about ick including the awesome very detailed post on here about all different diseases.

I picked up this 14" fire eel a few months back and it took me a good month or so to get him to eat anything. Finally, I got some earthworms in him and shortly after and I believe in no way related I saw a few white spots on his body. My firs thought was Ick so I read a lot about it and finally decided to just turn the temp up to 86+ degrees. I have not added any salt.

My next step is to add salt as it has been well over 2 weeks and although his white spots have gone down there are still a couple small ones on his underside that worry me. It should be said that none of my other fish (Cichlids) have shown any signs of issue.

So my question is this. If it has already been above 86 degrees for more than 10 days and the white spots are still there. Is there a chance it's something else? If temperature alone did not cure this thing will salt actually help? Should I be looking at alternative solutions?

The tank is a 170 gal with a 50 gal sump.

In advance. I have tried to get pictures with no success.

Thanks for any advice.

C.Bargman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2015
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/fire-eel-missing-scales.651949/ My eel was showing some white spots a few months ago. I think the eel was squeezing in the PVC with my loaches and the loaches would bite her. I added 2, 4" PVC pipes and it's been fine since.
Very interesting. The pictures in your thread do look fairly similar.

I had wondered if it was possibly irritation from the rocks he like to hide in as some of them are not the smoothest of rocks. I guess I will try adding some extra hiding areas for all the different fish and turning the heat back down to normal temperature.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
interesting. not ick. I am curious to see if that resolves on its own

C.Bargman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2015
Well, it's been a while and I turned the heat back down a while ago. The spots have gone away completely and come back even worse and then gone away again. It seems to fluctuate by the day but the Eel does not seem to be suffering any ill effects. I don't really know what to make of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store