Thought: Canister outlet to "boil" K1

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
I recently bought an Eheim 600 to supplement my 300 gal tank that is already running with sump filter: one compartment with k1 and the rest with mixture of submerged bio media.

The tank itself is running on 2 pumps (turnover 8-10k liters/hour) plus a wavemaker. I was thinking the canister outflow could be put to better use here.

Just checking if anyone here are doing that and any pros and cons to consider?

The k1 is currently "boiling" with a pump - substantial but perhaps the canister output will give them a faster churn.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
This will overflow the sump. If you take water from the tank in a manner other than "overflowing" it then the sump will fill up too fast.

However, if you put the canister intake in the sump, say in the first chamber, and then put the outlet in the K1 chamber then that will work just fine.

Reactions: Red Aimara

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
This will overflow the sump. If you take water from the tank in a manner other than "overflowing" it then the sump will fill up too fast.

However, if you put the canister intake in the sump, say in the first chamber, and then put the outlet in the K1 chamber then that will work just fine.
I was about to mention that. :)

Placing the canister at the same level as the sump; intake in the first compartment and outlet at the k1 area.

The Eheim spray bar does give a wide area of water movement.

Maybe will take a pic after setting this up in a day or two.

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Had set up the canister as planned.

Would recommend this to anyone who wants to put the outflow of a canister for better use of their tanks have enough movement and are running k1 filtration.

At the same level as the sump tank gave a stronger outflow and with the rain bar angled at just above the water level; the k1 gets a good "boil".

Could save some electricity bill as opposed to using a couple of air pumps or power heads. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store