Feeding smelt or silverside same as feeding live???

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Just want to ask a question, i read somewhere in the forum that feeding live can raise aggression to a bichir and most likely raise cannibalism to lower jaws when thier young, but do feeding them smelt or silverside the same way as feeding live???

Champagne Papi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2015
I feed mine live no aggression, nipping for food but nothing serious. Earthworms make them grow fast. But if you do feed smelt you can do it either way. If you put it in their whole they'll deathroll it

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I don't think it raises aggression but if ever needing to introduce a tankmate to the same tank. Then ur fish may think it's food instead.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
It's not exactly aggression that becomes a problem, but more of that the fish when hungry is used to finding something to eat that is moving around. So when you may be out of town or unable to feed, they might become hungry and eat their tank mates. Also, feeders (unless you breed your own) can carry parasites or diseases. I'm not familiar with smelt, but I know when I bought silver sides they would come frozen, that usually kills a good chunk of harmful bacteria/parasites.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I stopped feeding smelt because of thiamine, tilapia is better and cheaper I also absolutely agree with kno4te kno4te
Dr.B Dr.B

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Forgot about the thiaminase issue in smelt. Never hurts to be reminded. Thanks tlindsey tlindsey .

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I dont feed mine live feeder, usually sinking carnivore pellets or smelt, the smelt is frozen from the market, i cut it to small pieces never put the whole smelt, but 80% i feed them is pellets, sometimes i put raw shrimp without head and skin, ill try tilapia next time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store