Filtration for a 250g

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Hi guys im picking up a 250g tomorrow and just wanted to get some ideas for filtration. From the pictures it looks like theres not alot of room in the stand for filtration to be hidden. Anybody have any good solution to making a filter or filters large enough for the tank that would be able to fit in those doors or am I just going to have to suck it up and put it outside the tank? Thanks!image.jpeg

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Get a 55 gallon sump you must put it inside the stand before you put the tank inside of it. I believe petco is having their sale. Or you can do an FX6 canister filter.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I would normally recommend a sump but your application is unique. If the side cabinets are open then I would put an FX6 in each one, if it will fit, and run the plumbing out the back.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Get a 55 gallon sump you must put it inside the stand before you put the tank inside of it. I believe petco is having their sale. Or you can do an FX6 canister filter.
If I am able to put a sump in I will for sure, Just trying to do my research on a DIY one without breaking the bank. If you have any suggestions that would be great

I would normally recommend a sump but your application is unique. If the side cabinets are open then I would put an FX6 in each one, if it will fit, and run the plumbing out the back.
If I cant get the sump and have to put in canister filters I am thinking about making 2 of the King of DIYs XL canister filters and have one on each side but I am not sure if that is enough?

Heres the link

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
If you really want a sump then I think you have a few options.

First, find or build a new stand that doesn't have the middle shelving area. Probably not an option you really want to explore because that stand looks so nice but it's there.

Next option would be to source the largest tanks/containers, or build your own, that will fit in each side of the stand. Then, drill each of them and run a bridge line in the back of the shelving area between the two tanks. Or, you could do the same thing but run the bridge line out the back to connect the two. You would just have the tank overflow into one side, run through the filtration stages and then get pumped back up from the other side.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
If you really want a sump then I think you have a few options.

First, find or build a new stand that doesn't have the middle shelving area. Probably not an option you really want to explore because that stand looks so nice but it's there.

Next option would be to source the largest tanks/containers, or build your own, that will fit in each side of the stand. Then, drill each of them and run a bridge line in the back of the shelving area between the two tanks. Or, you could do the same thing but run the bridge line out the back to connect the two. You would just have the tank overflow into one side, run through the filtration stages and then get pumped back up from the other side.
Ill look into the second idea cause the stand looks way to nice. sounds like a lot of pipes crossing all over.

Would you think two of those XL canister filters could get the job done sufficiently?

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
Look like you have two overflow on each side...I had this kind of tank before and before I wasnt a big fan of the sump. I'll go with 2 FX6 and call it a day. Just dont filled up the water level to the overflow, leave about 1 -2" below the over flow you be all set.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Ill look into the second idea cause the stand looks way to nice. sounds like a lot of pipes crossing all over.

Would you think two of those XL canister filters could get the job done sufficiently?
I would only be one pipe that runs between the smaller tanks. The would just have to be connected somehow. I don't think your going to be able to fit a tank large enough into one side to run a sump and you can't run two individual sumps because one will overflow. Essentially, you would have water overflow into the tank on one side of the stand. Then the water will run through a pipe that is connected to the tank on the other side of the stand. Finally, the water will go through the return pump and back up to the tank. It will probably be a bit more work than your average sump but if you really want to run a sump then I think it's definitely doable.

As for using two FX6's, I think you will be fine with those as long as you don't run a crazy stocked tank.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I would only be one pipe that runs between the smaller tanks. The would just have to be connected somehow. I don't think your going to be able to fit a tank large enough into one side to run a sump and you can't run two individual sumps because one will overflow. Essentially, you would have water overflow into the tank on one side of the stand. Then the water will run through a pipe that is connected to the tank on the other side of the stand. Finally, the water will go through the return pump and back up to the tank. It will probably be a bit more work than your average sump but if you really want to run a sump then I think it's definitely doable.

As for using two FX6's, I think you will be fine with those as long as you don't run a crazy stocked tank.
I would just use canisters. But since I would not have a sump to put my heaters in is there anyway to have my heaters externally instead of not in the tank? I keep looking and havent found much for that size. The Inline heaters I saw really go up to 90 gallons and the big ones are worth $2.5k and that is not an option at all

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH

Check out this video. Not sure if it includes his HOB version but I see no reason why you can't just run the outlet of each filter through an HOB version of this. It wouldn't really restrict flow at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store