Filtration for a 250g

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Its preference what you want to go with they're pros and cons with both. You can build your own canisters will save you a few hundred dollars. Just make sure everything on there is nice and tight. I don't like canisters mainly due to limited bio media you can fit in. With a sump you can add 3-4 times maybe more the amount of media and its cheaper and you can customize it with K1 to you name it.

Sometimes due to limited space canisters work very well. If this can't fit a sump or you wouldn't want to have one and build your own thats great as well. Both options are great.

Your tank has a built in overflow so its meant for a sump and probably has a bulkhead waiting to be plumbed to a sump. Like someone else said you would have to drop the water level due to this and you should be fine you'll lose maybe 10 gallons.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ

Check out this video. Not sure if it includes his HOB version but I see no reason why you can't just run the outlet of each filter through an HOB version of this. It wouldn't really restrict flow at all.
I was looking at that before and would probable be my best option. Thanks for the help!

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Its preference what you want to go with they're pros and cons with both. You can build your own canisters will save you a few hundred dollars. Just make sure everything on there is nice and tight. I don't like canisters mainly due to limited bio media you can fit in. With a sump you can add 3-4 times maybe more the amount of media and its cheaper and you can customize it with K1 to you name it.

Sometimes due to limited space canisters work very well. If this can't fit a sump or you wouldn't want to have one and build your own thats great as well. Both options are great.

Your tank has a built in overflow so its meant for a sump and probably has a bulkhead waiting to be plumbed to a sump. Like someone else said you would have to drop the water level due to this and you should be fine you'll lose maybe 10 gallons.
Im thinking of removing the overflow completely when I reseal the tank and plugging the drilled holes with a sheet of glass siliconed over the top of them

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Im thinking of removing the overflow completely when I reseal the tank and plugging the drilled holes with a sheet of glass siliconed over the top of them
Oh yeah that will work more space for you then! I like sumps so I'm biased not going to lie. I've had all sorts of filtration system my favorite is sponge filters but we all know a big tank and a show tank it doesn't look pleasing plus way more frequent water changes.

Hopefully you get this tank and comes back solid. Whats the price your paying if you don't mind me asking for the whole setup?

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Oh yeah that will work more space for you then! I like sumps so I'm biased not going to lie. I've had all sorts of filtration system my favorite is sponge filters but we all know a big tank and a show tank it doesn't look pleasing plus way more frequent water changes.

Hopefully you get this tank and comes back solid. Whats the price your paying if you don't mind me asking for the whole setup?
I would love to do a sump and actually figure out how they actually work! lol every time i think I understand them someone does something different and I cant wrap my brain around it. I already have a FX5 on my 90 but just dont feel like dropping that type of money for two of them plus I just hate taking that thing apart haha. So making my own canister is gunna be the path I will take.

The tank was listed for $500 obo and I called just asking about the age and size and was told right off the bat that they would give it to me for $200 without even asking about a price so I lucked out. I will find out if it comes with anymore good stuff when I pick it up tomorrow. It seems to be at a medical practice and the secretary doesnt seem to understand a few of the questions I have asked lol

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
If price is what's holding you back from the FX5/6 then check out the SunSun 304B. It's rated at 575gph (it's significantly lower than that when it's filled with media though, but probably still around 350gph). It will hold a lot of media and it is only $90 or so on Amazon. I got the smaller 303B and have been very happy with it. It also comes with a UV steralizer built in.

I think that two of these would be plenty to get your tank started but as stocking increases, you might want to add another one or two, or upgrade to the FX6's.

I can honestly say that my water has never been as clear as it is with my SunSun filter.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
If price is what's holding you back from the FX5/6 then check out the SunSun 304B. It's rated at 575gph (it's significantly lower than that when it's filled with media though, but probably still around 350gph). It will hold a lot of media and it is only $90 or so on Amazon. I got the smaller 303B and have been very happy with it. It also comes with a UV steralizer built in.

I think that two of these would be plenty to get your tank started but as stocking increases, you might want to add another one or two, or upgrade to the FX6's.

I can honestly say that my water has never been as clear as it is with my SunSun filter.
Thanks for the referral! I have never even heard of those until now but will put it on my list to research with a price like that. How long have you been running them for?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I have only been running mine for about 3 weeks but they have good reviews on here and great reviews on Amazon. For the price you can easily keep a spare in case one dies on you.

I made an unboxing thread when setting mine up, with lots of pictures. I just bumped it over the weekend when I got it out for the first round of maintenance (just cleaning of the mechanical media, not anything wrong). You should check it out.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I have only been running mine for about 3 weeks but they have good reviews on here and great reviews on Amazon. For the price you can easily keep a spare in case one dies on you.

I made an unboxing thread when setting mine up, with lots of pictures. I just bumped it over the weekend when I got it out for the first round of maintenance (just cleaning of the mechanical media, not anything wrong). You should check it out.
Ill head over and take a look then. What size tank do you have them on?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I put the smaller 303B (rated at 370gph but is probably around 225-250gph after filled with media) on my 29gal, but that's because I like over-filtration. I used the spray bar to keep the flow down a little bit but if you custom rig some of the plumbing for better flow so you can reduce some restriction.

Like I said, I think that two will get you started, but I think you will need additional filtration after your stocking picks up or your fish grow out.

If your interested, you could always add some HOB filters later on, to combine with the SunSuns and that should give you plenty of filtration.

One last thing, you could always plumb the intake of the canisters to the overflow pipes. I would just shorten them up so they don't run the risk of the waterline getting too low and running them dry. Just thought I'd throw that out there. If there is another hole for a return then you could plumb to that too, for the return. Or, you could just run the return as a HOB style.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store