My Flowerhorn is too fearful

Armutlu

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
My Flowerhorn is too fearful

I have acquired my first FH two weeks ago. It is approximately 10 cm long but I am not sure about its age. The seller told me that it might be 3 or 4 months old. I have designed my tank with Gians rocks and made a cave for my fish. First week everything was OK and the fish liked too much its cave house but he did not set any relation with me. Some FH keepers told me that I have to remove the cave immediately from the tank. Otherwise, the fish would not become tame. So I did and I have removed the cave. But unfortunately, since one week everything turned more bad. My fish is now too fearful than before and it seems that he is under stress. He tries to hide behind the heater or pipe of the external filter and he has no appetite.

Dear Friends.

The first reason I have given up my 10 years goldfish hobby is the behaviour of Flowerhorns. I heard that FH are very social and clever fishes and they act like wet dog. But my flowerhorn is very very fearful. Besides this, he is ill now. What must I do. Must I set again his gians rock cave house again ? Please inform me

Best wishes and healthy hobbies.

Note: His cave before I removed it.

20160426_000134.jpg20160426_000209 (1).jpg

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
add cave back in, also look at how intense your lighting is; as well as tank size, these are the main factors outside of water quality that i've found affect fish behaviour

Reactions: Armutlu

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
They act like wet dog hahaha oh man I laughed, out loud, at work on that line haha.

Give him time. Fish take time to come around to their owners, and each fish is different. It took my north American native tank MONTHS to come around. Now all the fish, regardless of species, beg at the front of the tank when I walk by. They all hand feed now as well.

Give him time to adjust, soon he'll be kicking water out to get your attention.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
They act like wet dog hahaha oh man I laughed, out loud, at work on that line haha.

Give him time. Fish take time to come around to their owners, and each fish is different. It took my north American native tank MONTHS to come around. Now all the fish, regardless of species, beg at the front of the tank when I walk by. They all hand feed now as well.

Give him time to adjust, soon he'll be kicking water out to get your attention.
Each fish has their own individual personality. I had a 12" beast flowerhorn with nice kok that would let me pet him and would protect me from getting bit from the other giants in the tank. He literally would show them off. I had this other fader flowerhorn who just wants to eat everything including me when my hands in the tank.

He may come around he may never come around to being nice to you. He will eventually come out to play from the glass thats for sure but petting him like a wet dog and taking him on long walks might not happen :)

Simon_fh

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2016
Put the cave back in. Try to creat a more natural habitat with plants and lots of hiding places so your fish can feel safe and claim a territory. I put ceramic/terra cotta garden pots in my tank and my fish love it.

You can also place a small female parrot fish with him to make him less shy. Not too small but a bit smaller than your flowerhorn. It can take several weeks to several months for him to become less shy.

Simon

Armutlu

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Thanks a lot for all friends who answered this case. I put the cave again into the tank yesterday. An it looks the fish is now healthy and happy. He feels more save in his cave nest. Bu he still afraids of me and my family members. As you have mentioned I need to wait for more weeks.

Besides this, I do not know anything about FH types. I will be very happy if you make estimations about my Flowerhorn's subtype and race. Does it have a good quality grade or not ?
Kind regards,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store