Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
I have about 8x can do more but the current would be too strong

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
So is every one stating there GPH including head height and return hose size?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So is every one stating there GPH including head height and return hose size?
Nope, size of pump. Without flow meters everything is just a guess, the size of the pump is about the only thing that isn't just guessed....lol. Stick to the cardinal rule to not restrict anything and use as big of of size as functionably possible for the pluming and hope it goes! :)

Some would argue wavemakers and powerheads to add to turnover when they just push around? Not sure where to stand on current pumps vs return??

Reactions: CANAMONSTER

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
My number is after all deductions for head loss and such. Could be as high as 6.5x but like DB, its just an educated guess.
I also run a 3200 gph Koralia for additional movement....

Reactions: CANAMONSTER

natbling

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2015
I have mine at 10x if I use the gph of the pump and the size of the tank... rays are fine with the flow... the SDs on the other hand... they swim sideways...

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Doubt you can have too much current......

Like mentioned previously lots of us run huge Korilias along with the 10-20X turnover..... I had over 10K gph just in Korilias in my big tank before the pieces of crap all failed.......

I guess I don't worry that much about pluming loss cause there really isn't going to be that much if you plum it properly, most decent external pumps don't loose much with typical head height, especially in setups like mine where the bottom tanks have a whopping 18" of head.

Beester15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2015
Chicago
I was doing a 4-5x turn over in my tank and it was OK...I upgraded pumps to a 10x turnover and there was a significant improvement to the rays attitude. I will not go back to less than 10x again in my ray tanks.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i only do about 5-6 times turn over, and tank stays perfect.. this is after estimated head loss.
i use to go way more, by why?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store