I present to you...Lithodoras dorsalis!

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Are you sure about your id? This doesn't really look like any picture of dorsalis I've seen. The head seems to differ from the planet catfish photos.

It looks like a megalodoras to myself.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Are you sure about your id? This doesn't really look like any picture of dorsalis I've seen. The head seems to differ from the planet catfish photos.

It looks like a megalodoras to myself.
Well,at this point I am or I wouldn't have posted but I could be wrong of course.I have based my conclusion on the many different photos of the two fish that I have seen and compared .

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Head shape is more angular on a megalodoras

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice fish Krich!

But sorry to say I am with Pharmaecopia. IMHO it is but our old friend irwini.

Not only the bony scute pattern differs on these two (yours does not have scutes on the top, for one) but the snout and head shape too, eye position, base color is more grey on Litho, etc.

These are exceedingly rare. Check out PCF pics more closely and you should note the differences http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=443

... and see mine too:

Doradid Rocky 1.JPG

Doradid Rocky 2.JPG

Doradid Rocky 3.JPG

Doradid Rocky 4.JPG

Doradid Rocky 5.JPG

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
TBTB I was waiting for you to chime in.I'll have to admit that mine does not have the bony plates on it's back but other than that it looks like a litho to me.I have poured over the photos of PC and elsewhere for quite a while and this fish just does not have the characteristics of a mega.I posted one of Jeff Rapps old photos for a side by side comparison in post 16 and lookswise mine has more in common with the litho than it does the mega in that photo.Your fish is a fine specimen by the way.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
People can make mistakes, but Rapps has a great reputation and wouldn't knowingly misrepresent a fish. I would suggest contacting him and ask him to read this thread and add his 2 cents. I hope you paid uranoscoups price.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
People can make mistakes, but Rapps has a great reputation and wouldn't knowingly misrepresent a fish. I would suggest contacting him and ask him to read this thread and add his 2 cents. I hope you paid uranoscoups price.
I did as that is actually what I bought it as but it's markings indicated differently to me....worse comes to worse I'm still all in with this fish and my long search for a litho continues.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I see the reason for your thinking but it's not only the bony plates.

Irwini snout is more pointed, as e.g. in image 5 top view: http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?image_id=3385

And compare this to any other top view of a Litho, like my first shot - rounder snout, shorter, blunter.

The eye are bigger on a Litho and appear to sit a bit lower.

This is from the top of my head, without going farther...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes and also mine lacks the reddish coloring that the lithos in the photos have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store