Drilling holes in glass

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I would like someone suggested get some tanks off craigslist and start to practice. Every week 1-2 tanks from 10-100 gallons come up for free. This week 5 came up a lot of corner tanks lol. I am a hoarder but with fish...lol

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find thin glass tanks are harder to drill than those with thick glass. The only tanks I have cracked during drilling have been the small ones like 20 gals, tanks of 75 gal and over with thick glass are much easier. I have drilled at least 10 tanks, some of them standing, and half full.

I like to drill my wood template with a hole saw for wood, put a small hole above where the glass will be so water can flow onto the drill bit and glass, and then use a diamond coated hole bit for the glass.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I was hoping duanes duanes would post that here, great example. I agree 100% thinner glass is more prone to crack. Also the water serves dual purpose, a) cools it down for a smoother drill and b) you don't have glass dust flying around everywhere. So Jim if you do the silicone or plumbers putty dam of water, I would periodically take a paper towel and soak it up (water will have glass particles in it) and throw it out and replace with new water. That way you don't risk those small glass particles getting anywhere important.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone gives me confidence to give it a go! Going to order the drill bits today

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Jim,

I just drilled my first glass tank the other day, i was nervous but it was quiet easy. just dont push let the bit do the work.

SnowAddict

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Bourne, UK
As above your grinding the glass not cutting so no pressure and lots of water. I always start the cutter on a angle then square up to create a groove.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks for the reply guys, appreciated.
I have struggled getting a suitable sized container/sump that will fit in the cupboard under the tank and I can't wait around for a suitable sized glass tank to show up for sale. So for now I am going to fill the tank and use my fx6 on it as I have fish waiting to go in it. I lost a lovely size geo yesterday as they are cramped in my sump so my hand is forced and the tank needs to be set up ASAP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store