Leptodoras cf. cataniai just arrived

Landon Werner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2016
Just got a leptodoras cataniai from Rapps, and was curious who else is keeping them, and to what size they have gotten them, as well as foods they are taking. Mine just arrived today and acclimated no sweat, currently cruising around my planted tank. PH is at 6.8 in this tank, so may be a bit low. Let's see some pics and hear some info on this fish as I found very little on planetcatfish or anywhere else.

Landon Werner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2016
Yeah they really do kind of look like sturgeons. But the filamented mouth they have is so cool, but may also be a reason why they are picky on foods. Sand substrate is definitively the only way to go with these. Also, it looks real skinny but that is their body shape as well too. May be a harder fish to keep, and why I can't find any info.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Yeah, very little on planetcatfish but the max size looks great, good luck and share what you find!

Fishy-Botany

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
I'd assume they'd go crazy for live tubifex/blackworms, and frozen brineshrimp.
Would you be able to post a video one day of them eating ?

Landon Werner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2016
So far I've only gotten the lepto to eat frozen bloodworms, which is doesn't exactly seem excited about eating, but it did eat a half block of it so that's good. Seem very fragile when then are smaller, very thin tail. It's mouth is pretty large for its size, no teeth, but could probably handle small red worms or earthworms even which I'm going to try.

Fishy-Botany

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
That's pretty awesome it's eating for you. The small earthworms sounds like a great idea, I hope the lepto goes for them.

Landon Werner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2016
I must have gotten lucky, but he eats almost anything now! Caught him even sucking up the aqueon cichlid pellets (filler food) and every bit of flake or anything that hits the bottom.

Reactions: Fishy-Botany

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Cool little doradid. I didn't realize. At first I thought it was one of the whiptails, which it resembles but is not one of them. Interesting how I find my trio of trachydoras to behave much like corydoras.

I'd probably expect yours to have a biology similar to whiptail catfishes.

'Tbe nice to have some visual :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store