Green sunfish stocking

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
I had two in a 150 for a while the big one was close to 11 inches and the other one was 7 they lived with a black bullhead about 9 in long
the big one had the same aggression level as my dovii possibly more and it had a lot more color.
I would not over stock it will take away from the show.

with my two I gave them both rock piles on opposite sides or the tank they set up territory in the rocks and left each other alone for the most part

they eat crayfish but I use them to clean all my tanks

firefly1152

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2016
Wisconsin
I have a crayfish, but he's in his own tank. He loves eating minnows, so either he's going to try eating the sunfish or the sunfish will harass him to death.

I'll look into those madtoms. Is there any specific type that does best with greens?

firefly1152

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2016
Wisconsin
How about a bristle nose pleco? I had one a few years back that would tail whip any fish that got too close to her.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a crayfish, but he's in his own tank. He loves eating minnows, so either he's going to try eating the sunfish or the sunfish will harass him to death.

I'll look into those madtoms. Is there any specific type that does best with greens?
Margined Madtoms and Stonecats would be your best bet when they're adults, for now look in to either small Margineds or Tadpole Madtoms.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
How about a bristle nose pleco? I had one a few years back that would tail whip any fish that got too close to her.
Ancistrus are warmwater fish. You can keep Sunfish at 74-78°F no problem, and my Green's tank runs about 76° in the summer, but, she's definitely happier when the temp is in the 66-72°F range.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

firefly1152

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2016
Wisconsin
I'm in Wisconsin. I contacted the DNR before I bought the sunfish and the guy said if I want local fish, I have to buy them from a supplier and have proof of purchase. We're not allowed to keep fish caught in the wild.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store