Bracing floor for big tanks

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
wow....theres a lot of hostility in here....

anywho all the suggestions are good....you could simply sister the floor joists together and it'll hold a truck. jack posts are more than enough bracing the tank as well. J's idea is good too. you have the info you can work with, its just up to you to pick which idea you go with.
I'm was not being hostile lol. Sorry if anyone took it that way

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
If you have plans of bringing in a 180 gallon tank on a wooden floor I would call a professional structural suport company to come in and look at things to give your tank the suport it needs http://www.jeswork.com/

This might sound expensive but it's going to be hideously expensive if something should go wrong. In that the tank doesn't have to fall though the floor to do several thousand dollars in damage. Such as if the tank even starts listing to one side that side of the tank will weaken and break apart. Besides if you have a professional come in and build a suport system could could have them build a custom suport system for a 500 or 800 gallon tank.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
If that was necessary my 310 and 150 would have fallen through the floor by now

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
I think the joists in this house are actually thicker then ones I've seen in newer homes I'll have to look again but I highly doubt I would need a structural engineer to brace the floor in a house I'm only living in for a few years. I'm going to brace it up with columns and if the floor sags or something I will break the tank down if needed and store the tank until I buy my next house. When I start the hunt for the next house its going to have proper man cave where I can have a 300+ on concrete slab.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I'm was not being hostile lol. Sorry if anyone took it that way
Same here. I just don't feel comfortable with taking advice, or giving it, on something that has potential for expensive disaster. This is talking about a structure, not a fish tank. I actually did use an architect for mine. He did what I thought was overkill, but it works! Good luck man!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store