Treating Parasites

Kesha's Boyfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
Thanks for the input. I added 30 teaspoons of epsom into his tank yesterday (30 gallon hospital), 30 teaspoons today, and will continue to add 30 teaspoons a day for the next 3 days, as advised by my LFS. He is eating and pooping now. Feeling much better about it.

Kesha's Boyfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
I removed all the feeders, tried to feed him sticks. He is having none of that. back to pooping white again. any ideas? Dosed with prazi pro.

Kesha's Boyfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
I have now completed the 5 day epsom salt treatment. No improvement. I am on day 3 or 4 of prazipro dosing in the water. He refuses to eat ANYTHING. I even got some superworms and dipped them in some garlic formula my LFS sold me. No dice. I did not want to do this, but I used a pipette to dose the fish with prazipro internally. Yes, I stuck the pipette in his mouth and squirted a little. How long should i dose for?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hey....sorry this is going on for this long it should be better soon. If no better try some metronidazole to the tank if not eating. Even gut loading fish if needed.

Can inject some into the fish's mouth as well.

This will help to treat like hexemita for example. That's the best I can think of.

Ask Aquanero Aquanero for help as well.

Kesha's Boyfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
I truly appreciate the help. I know I have contributed nothing here, so I cannot express my gratitude. I successfully injected some ground flakes, pellets, epsom salt, and prazi pro into the fishes stomach via a plastic pipette about ten minutes ago. He is not too happy at the moment, but feeling much better now that i KNOW he has meds and food in his stomach.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I still think that metro would help. I forgot that hexemita/spiro can do the same white stringy poop and metro would help. Especially with cichlids.

Since not getting better with prazi I would suggest that.

Hope it turns around.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I had a problem with internal parasites last week or so. Been feeding medicated foods and all seems to be improving. I havnt heard of injecting prazipro straight into the fishs mouth before, but if it works it works. I used the medicated foods along with paraguard to treat callaminus (or whatever they're called). Unfortunatly one tank inhabitant didnt make it through the treatment (too far gone when i caught it) but was able to identify the culprit.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
You could get some medicated food and get some of that garlic solution that boosts the appetite of fish. If you could get him to eat some medicated food that would be good.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
is this a wild caught fish? how long have you had it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store