Platinum Aligator gar

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
So I came across a platinum alligator gar at a fish store by me called Monster Aquariums. This one measured at least 24 inches in length and was in its center as thick as a base ball bat. After doing some research I see that my 600 gallon will not be big enough so I started looking at other platinum gars as possible replacements. I have come to the conclusion that a platinum alligator gar looks for whatever reason substantially better than the other platinum gars or am I just looking at the wrong pictures and is there a difference between a platinum gar and a snow white gar or are those the same things being described.

20160504_114515.jpg

20160504_114512.jpg

20160504_114524.jpg

Last edited:

Hasircoglu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2014
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I think that the reason gator gars look so much better is because how much they are bread. The People who breed them for the specific traits(like short body, albino, melanistic...) have focused on the gator gar because they are common, easy, and their is a demand for them more then the Florida, and tropical gars. That's just my logic

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
I have noticed that Alligator gars tend to sit at the bottom of a tank more than other gars. Is that because of there size, the size of tank in relation to their size or they are just lazy. As with most gars they seem to get thick around the mid section some look disproportionately fat. Would having them in a high flow tank possibly reduce how thick they get. Mind you I am not referring to a healthy looking thickness but rather when it looks like they are busting out the seems as it were.

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
you could get a platinum florida or platinum tropical how much are they asking for the gator?

i would try cotacting ichiban tropical or, jeff rapps or primo aquatics

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
That Platinum gar are from Monster Aquarium...IMO this gar wont grow any larger or any time soon. your 600g will hold him for a very long time. I've seen this gar been in this tank for a long time, if you have the money and your 600gallon ready then take it. Gar wont grow over night to max out your 600gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store