Shrimp turning RED

cbfreder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
USA
Mine turn red when I steam them in beer and old bay.

Could this be the problem?

:D

Brandon

plah831

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
heh, it is indeed a bamboo or wood shrimp. Aka Singapore flower shrimp or Asian filter shrimp, "Atyopsis moluccensis". The red color is a GOOD sign. They go from brown to red when they are happy and well-fed. So you're doing something right! Yes, they are filter feeders and should be supplement fed with crushed flakes or plankton. You can just put this in the filter outflow, as that is their favorite place to hang out :) While they will pick up food off the bottom, I never saw mine do it. I've also heard that that should be avoided, probably because their mouths and metabolisms are meant to deal with tiny suspended particles.

Good job! :)

rangedg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2006
Alabama
Thanks for the help, what about the amano shrimp? do they change color like the marble/bamboo shrimp? I have red flourite gravel btw.

plah831

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
don't know about the amanos turning red. Perhaps it is due to the red substrate, huh? I tried searching for it at www.petshrimp.com, but their search feature always comes up with too many results to be useful :(

rangedg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2006
Alabama
Some of the amano shrimp turned brown and some turned were red. At the time my water had a distinct yellowish-brownish color, Im not sure if it was from the iron supplement I had religiously put in twice a week or from the wood releasing the color. Either way my water has cleared after about the 4th water change (in about 2-3 months). I writing this because the new shrimp I have put in have maintained their original color. Also, I have lost about 3 amano shrimp and the bamboo shrimp, I know this is too vague of a question, but what are some deadly factors for shrimp? what are they most vulnerable to?

Lauren1993

Feeder Fish
May 23, 2016
I have had to sign up to comment, I read this thread before and that's when j realised mine were dying as they turnt a bright red. Water was fine, lots of filtration, everything was great so I asked the pet shop with a guy who knows a great deal. He asked me do I dispose of the sponge that the plants come in or the white pots, which I don't and he said you need too when keeping shrimp and snails as these pots and sponge have pesticide added to them so in transit no pest snails can latch on. He suggested that I take all the sponge out and gently peel it off the roots, scoop out any left over which I have done then leave it for four weeks which I have done although he did warn me because I have had it in my tank a while it may be too late. I have now got some new shrimp and all seems ok so we will see how it goes. Hope this helps someone else

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store