Fish that dont need a heater?

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
hello mfk. I have an empty 55 gallon hexagon acrylic fish tank that would like to setup. Can you name types of fish that dont need a heater. I want to make a community tank with this if possible. Im more into cichlids and arowanas etc but i wat to try something different with this tank. Thanks in advance.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Honestly what's your room temp? My room temp my tank gets to 72 so meaning I never need a heater technically but I keep one and set it to 78-80.

My garage will get to 10-30 degrees in winter and basement 50-60 in the winter. It all depends where you keep your tank and the water temps.

Goldfish can live in any climate... Lol

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
Honestly what's your room temp? My room temp my tank gets to 72 so meaning I never need a heater technically but I keep one and set it to 78-80.

My garage will get to 10-30 degrees in winter and basement 50-60 in the winter. It all depends where you keep your tank and the water temps.

Goldfish can live in any climate... Lol
I live in daly city CA, right next to san francisco. i want some sort of schooling fish and bottom dwellers. I really dont kno my room temp but i i had to guess its maybe around low 70s.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Where I was getting at was where in your home is the tank and what's the water temp in room temp. Before anyone can help you please provide that information.

Let's say it's low 70s realistically you can keep any cichlid in there. Hell I kept Midas Red Devils all sorts of cichlids for months in grow out tanks for fry with no heater. 72 it would hit in the winter 68 but I would insulate the top of the tanks better and get a min of 70.

Ideal temps is 78 but 70s are fine

Reactions: JOSCAR05

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
Where I was getting at was where in your home is the tank and what's the water temp in room temp. Before anyone can help you please provide that information.

Let's say it's low 70s realistically you can keep any cichlid in there. Hell I kept Midas Red Devils all sorts of cichlids for months in grow out tanks for fry with no heater. 72 it would hit in the winter 68 but I would insulate the top of the tanks better and get a min of 70.

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California

Its being kept in my living room. First floor next to all my other tanks that i have setup. I keep my bearded dragons heatlamp on for a good 12 hours as well as my red eared sliders.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Look into the various Cyprinid and Darter species of the Eastern US, especially the Southeast. There's many fish in that area whose colors would shame those of tropical fish. Some fish to look in to would be Rainbow and Yellowfin Shiners, Bluehead Chubs, Cherry Darters, and many, many other species.

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
Look into the various Cyprinid and Darter species of the Eastern US, especially the Southeast. There's many fish in that area whose colors would shame those of tropical fish. Some fish to look in to would be Rainbow and Yellowfin Shiners, Bluehead Chubs, Cherry Darters, and many, many other species.
I will look into all of those. Hopefully my local fish stores will have them

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I will look into all of those. Hopefully my local fish stores will have them
They most likely aren't going to sell natives, you'll probably have to go online to purchase them. All US natives are pretty cold tolerant except for the more southern variants.

Reactions: JOSCAR05

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
yeah only native fish your likely to find in a pet store are flagfish mollies and fatheads (sold as feeders) being in cali i would look hard into the legality of owning them tho

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store