Pond Raised Dovii

PaleAle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
Yeah that sounds spot on buddy my fella lives in a 8x2.5x2.5 and has done for around 2 years he's about 18" or so now maybe bigger not sure, when I go bigger I'll be going for length rather then more height or width as IME 2.5 (30") in enough in that regard as captive Dovii very very rarely exceed 20"-22" in home captivity, my next tank is likely to be 13x2.5x2.5 so he can get out his short bursts of pace better, with the longer length as my guy likes swimming very quickly up and down the length of the tank lol, he's an idiot lol
What u have now may actually be a better size tank for me if u think 2.5 is enough width for him & will be cheaper option to. Thing is i've kinda always wanted 3' wide but don't wanna be going the sump route. Surely 2 FX6 could handle 8x3x2.5 with 2 fish in it. while i have some attention here, how many americans could a tank that size handle with 2 FX6s.

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
What u have now may actually be a better size tank for me if u think 2.5 is enough width for him & will be cheaper option to. Thing is i've kinda always wanted 3' wide but don't wanna be going the sump route. Surely 2 FX6 could handle 8x3x2.5 with 2 fish in it. while i have some attention here, how many americans could a tank that size handle with 2 FX6s.
I have problems with my Fx6. I'll come home from work and the thing won't be running. I've gone through two free replacement motor heads already. Just trying to decide if I want to risk drilling my 125 or just get an overflow box.

PaleAle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
Sorry to hear that man, had one running faultless for 2yrs now. No complaints here, ..

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
My tank is running 3 fx6 but only because I got 2 of them mega cheap from a buddy 2 should be fine, know idea how many you could put in there as I've only ever kept one or two fish max but would have though quiet a few with regular water changes if you decide to ditch the Dovii.

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
I have problems with my Fx6. I'll come home from work and the thing won't be running. I've gone through two free replacement motor heads already. Just trying to decide if I want to risk drilling my 125 or just get an overflow box.
Wow that seems strange I've ran 3 fx6 for a good while now with out a hitch, and lots of fx5 previously without problems also

PaleAle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
FX filters are very popular but built to a price so it;'s no surprise there are flaky ones around. Eheim are built to a standard but the price reflects that & they probably don't sell half as much. Eheim customers are probably the guys that have been in the hobby a long time & have utmost faith in their product that price is not an issue.

PaleAle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
My tank is running 3 fx6 but only because I got 2 of them mega cheap from a buddy 2 should be fine, know idea how many you could put in there as I've only ever kept one or two fish max but would have though quiet a few with regular water changes if you decide to ditch the Dovii.
No intentions to ditch the Dovii mate, unless they get a bit too boisterous for me to handle. at the end of the day I have never kept a fish of this potential & it scares me as much as it excites me ..

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
FX filters are very popular but built to a price so it;'s no surprise there are flaky ones around. Eheim are built to a standard but the price reflects that & they probably don't sell half as much. Eheim customers are probably the guys that have been in the hobby a long time & have utmost faith in their product that price is not an issue.
I've used eheim in the past they were realy good but the thing that lets them down IMO is the flow rate coming out the outlet is terrible in comparison to the fx6, i had the biggest ones you could get at the time as well, I think they were called 2080 professional 3, one of them is totally broke now though and the other is on my GT tank, in all honesty I'd pick a fx5/6 over a eheim any day especially baring in mind there around half the price and still do a fantastic job

Reactions: PaleAle

PaleAle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
+1. Water movement is important for big fish & big tanks & the FX series are great for that especially with modified outlets.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I've used eheim in the past they were realy good but the thing that lets them down IMO is the flow rate coming out the outlet is terrible in comparison to the fx6, i had the biggest ones you could get at the time as well, I think they were called 2080 professional 3, one of them is totally broke now though and the other is on my GT tank, in all honesty I'd pick a fx5/6 over a eheim any day especially baring in mind there around half the price and still do a fantastic job
Eheim deliberately have a slower water turn over rate to give the water more contact time with the media, a few magazines have done comparison tests where the Eheim filters have come out on top as biological filters, but yea not great as mechanical filters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store