Suitable Tank Mate

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
If you're tank is large enough, other large predatory fish, such as catfish, arapaima, arowana etc.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I used to keep same size niger cats with mine with good results. Just be aware gators are known to be aggressive and randomly kill things. I would not house a gator with anything I would hate to lose.

You might get better replies in the dedicated gar forum under ancient fish.

Samuel Koh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Is it safe to put a red tailed catfish and Alligator Gar together? Just asking. Or is it safer to put with Bichir?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
No. Only fish tank
Oh okay I ask this because RTC get very big and so do the gars. I had a RTC in a 500 gallon and he got 4 feet. How big is your tank. If I didn't feed the RTC everyday he would try to eat anything that swims next to him. I had him spit out a 12" Midas lol I saw him gulp it and right away spooked it and midas got some scales off and what not but made a recovery.

Samuel Koh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Oh okay I ask this because RTC get very big and so do the gars. I had a RTC in a 500 gallon and he got 4 feet. How big is your tank. If I didn't feed the RTC everyday he would try to eat anything that swims next to him. I had him spit out a 12" Midas lol I saw him gulp it and right away spooked it and midas got some scales off and what not but made a recovery.
So is it safe to put rtc and gar together?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store