Are albino bichir messed up genetically?

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I have never seen an albino that was very large. I have seen many normal senegalus that are large at the pet stores over time ,and of course they are some on youtube as well. The albino has been around for a long time now ,and I have yet to see any large albino ones? Google images turns up few photos that might be big,but none of which I can really tell the size of the fish. Can't seem to find one on youtube either, if anyone knows a video of a big alibino senegalus I would love to see it.

Anyway do they grow slower ,or just not grow as large? I know albinos of other species often have genetic problems ,due to inbreeding(I am told this is part of it). I was considering getting a few bichir ,but I don't want one to grow slower than the rest or not even get large at all.

TL:DR anyone have a albino senegalus above 6 inches?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Some one just recently posted theirs for sale and it was 10-11 inches.

They are slow growers and small in genre to size.

But they can have a decent life as they aren't having any defects.

Keep one long enough and maybe it'll get to be large.

Last edited:
Reactions: Polyaddict86

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Albino sens are usually in the same boat (if not worse) than CB sens with the inbreeding. So after all the breeding is done they don't grow as large.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I wanted to get one albino and maybe two normals for my 75 ,but I guess I will just pass on the albino.

I'm sure the ones in pet smart are inbred ,but does anyone know an online vendor that has healthy normal ones at least?

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Im curious too about the albino, are they cross breed between polys? Everytime i do a research about them regular senegal always comes out.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I had a 3 albino before but i trade them to my lfs. They grow so slow and i got scared when my ornate pass them in growth. I dont want them to become a dinner, lolz

Champagne Papi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2015
I got a female at 9 inch and a male at 6. I would love a 12 inch albino. It would look like a red eyes water dragon but never seen one

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store