180g Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScreamJr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
im looking to purchase a 180g and the seller claims it is a acrylic tank, i dont know much bout acrylic but the trimmings on the tank seems only common on glass tanks. I was wondering if i could get some feedback from the veterans of this community, thank you.

IMG_2863.jpg IMG_7536.jpg

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
You'll know when you go to pick it up. ;) on a serious note its hard to tell from the picture. Your right most acrylic tanks don't have plastic trim around the top and bottom. Looks to be a nice set-up.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
The black seams point to it being glass because acrylic would have clear seams. Also, 180 gallons is a pretty popular size glass tank.

As mentioned, if it's glass it will be much heavier. I think that a 180 glass is near 350-400lbs. I'm pretty sure acrylic would be around half that.

I would say I'm 95% sure it's glass. If you can get a close up of the seam from both directions we should be able to tell. Or, you can just look at it to see if there's silicone. Acrylic will not have silicone and glass has to have silicone.

Reactions: tlindsey

Timmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
On Mother EARTH
Could be Acrylic, most likely is. Its not as though you can trick someone into think it is acrylic vs glass. It appears that the black that you see is actually painted Acrylic. The black you see isn't thick enough to be a plastic rim on a typical glass tank. My money is on it being Acrylic.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
No one can tell you what it is here because you have to inspect it yourself. Easiest way is just knock on it lol I can tell just by doing that the softness vs the hardness but glass is super easy to tell. If it has silicone dead giveaway its glass.

Depending on the price you have leverage if its glass. How much is he asking?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yes, from the pictures I cannot tell. In fact, from the picture it looks like it could be glass with black silicone for the seams and eurobrace. Some folks prefer that for the look and hides the stains better. But then again unless seller is ignorant, it likely is acrylic.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I can not tell from the pictures. The painted back makes me think that it is acrylic and the seams make me think that it is glass. Did you find out if it was glass or acrylic?

ScreamJr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
lol, just go chk it out for urself.
This seller lives an hour and a half a way, im only interested in a acrylic tank so if i drive all the way up there and it ends being glass it would be a waste of time. Im sure you have plenty of time on your hands but i dont, there is a reason why i posted on forums looking for feedback and opinions. Hopefully in the future your cognitive thinking will progress so you can contribute to discussions.

I ended up buying the whole setup which included a fluval fx6 for around 225, the tank ended up being acrylic got a deal call me bargain shoppa what up.

Last edited:

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
This seller lives an hour and a half a way, im only interested in a acrylic tank so if i drive all the way up there and it ends being glass it would be a waste of time. Im sure you have plenty of time on your hands but i dont, there is a reason why i posted on forums looking for feedback and opinions. Hopefully in the future your cognitive thinking will progress so you can contribute to discussions.

I ended up buying the whole setup which included a fluval fx6 for around 225, the tank ended up being acrylic got a deal call me bargain shoppa what up.
jesus all he said was go look at it. you post pictures from 10 feet away asking if its glass or acrylic, no seam shots, not even a close up and you want people to ID clear material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store