Can anybody help ID this fish?

asaid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2010
United States
I just bought two of these from my lfs. The employee said they are related to exodons and had labeled them as "dento" fish. I don't know if that helps anything or not lol. Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Not sure of the species, but you absolutely need more or they will become very aggressive. The tetras with that body type -particularly around the head/mouth- are prone to aggression and can do some serious damage. Check the mouth, they probably have fangs.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Charax sp and suspect to be gibosis.

There's one TUIC gets that's more readily available. I'm blanking on the name but will find it. Same size and schools well. Aggressive to smaller fish and some teeth. Rapps hasn't had any for a while now.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Charax sp and suspect to be gibosis.

There's one TUIC gets that's more readily available. I'm blanking on the name but will find it. Same size and schools well. Aggressive to smaller fish and some teeth. Rapps hasn't had any for a while now.

I couldn't come up with the name but kno4te kno4te is absolutely right TUIC called them Gibosis. This was a few months back when I saw them on their stocklist.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I know rapps had charax but there's another type of this fish. It has the same body shape but no spots.

I'll research it.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Just remembered and got a pic. Roeboides guatemalensis. These get about up to 7in and school very well. Aggressive to smaller fish. These can be obtained more easily compared to charax. More hardy to transport from wild to home aqauriums. image.jpeg

Reactions: Wailua Boy

asaid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2010
United States
Thanks for the info guys. I have 5 exodons. Do you think they'll fit in with them, or I should get a few more of their own species? Also the store had them labeled as predatory. Anybody have any info on feeding them? The exodons will take just about anything.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I wouldn't keep with exodons. They are nipping fish and tolerate each other better. Charax and similar fish like it are rare and I wouldn't dare try it. Plus exodons will nip on fish as them or bigger.

Charax and similar can be kept with other fish the same size. They will go after smaller fish, neons for example, but not the same size as themselves generally.

They are predatory. Smaller fish beware. Get about 6 inches. School together. Will take most foods without a problem. They are temp sensitive from prior experience and Ich prone.

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store