anyone have Short Body Mbuna?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Just picked up this guy out of an assorted Africans tank, looks like maybe melanchromis.

I have never seen a short body Mbuna, and an internet search didn't show any picture results either.
So either they don't usually make it past fry stage or they are just quite rare.
the deformed spine that causes short bodys has been pretty common in recent years with central and south american cichlids, but this is the first african I have ever seen with a short body.

Let me know what you think and if anyone else has seen or owns some short body Mbuna please post some pics

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
He is the most agile Mbuna in my aquarium. all his fins except anal and dorsal are regular length, so he shoots around like a rocket. seems to be doing really well and I have a really douchey victorian that likes to chase everyone around.

I'm surprized I can't find any info, when I saw it in the store I thought hmm thats strange I've never seen a short body Mbuna. Glad I picked it up now its certainly unique

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I've seen a few crooked mbuna, mostly very old specimens. this one seems to be missing vertabrae, like that dog with the short spine that went viral online about a year ago

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I don't find that to be true. 99% of fry are spit perfect and that includes those held extra long by the mom and also mom's with huge clutches in small mouths. The only spine deformities I've had appeared to be genetic. Really one fish produced fry for me with a kinked spine and most of them had various degrees of the problem. Also, when I looked closely at the female she had a slight kink as well that went unnoticed until I saw the fry.

Deformities of face/head/mouth (profile a little off) can be caused by too much nitrate in the water when raising the fry.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Yeah and thats what made this fish stand out to me, it has a perfectly formed face, the only issues are the dorsal fin being a little cramped up and the obvious lack of vertabrae. it has the same features as other "Balloon" and "Short Body" fish you see in the hobby.

Would make a good Mbuna for a small aquarium haha

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Considering some of the most popular cichlids in pet stores are deformed or bred for specific traits I find it hard to believe most breeders would cull a short body fish.
either way this little guy has the right to live and he seems to be perfectly happy having a tiny body

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store