How do saltwater rays do with other predatory fish?

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I was planning on keeping an aquarium with a catshark or two, with a panther grouper, dragon wrasse, harlequin tusk and a moray eel (eel is undecided), and I was wondering whether a saltwater ray would be able to get along with them? I'm quite worried of having some of the other fish be stung. For context, I was particularly considering the blue spotted/dot stringray, or similarly sized stingrays.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Speaking from personal experience... If I were you I would avoid blue dots they do not live in captivity you will waste your money there. Go for something much more hardy like a yellow or cortez ray. As far as mixing them with other fish including sharks they should be fine. I would really really watch the harlequin tusk with sharks and rays though. They can be nippy sometimes.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
When I was into salt I avoided the blue spot ray fraythe reasons stated above but I did have a Cortez ray.I kept it along with a few different groupers as well as a Niger trigger with no issues.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
The longest I was able to get a pair of blue dots to live was a little over a year. Which was better than Shedd aquarium could do from what I heard. I tried 5 times and gave up. Shedd brought in ALOT, they all died. There was a rare instance I heard of someone having one for over 2 years in captivity. I have not heard anything about that in quite some time. I would not be suprised if it died as well.

Reactions: LadAShark

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Speaking from personal experience... If I were you I would avoid blue dots they do not live in captivity you will waste your money there. Go for something much more hardy like a yellow or cortez ray. As far as mixing them with other fish including sharks they should be fine. I would really really watch the harlequin tusk with sharks and rays though. They can be nippy sometimes.
I see, alright, I will defintely avoid the blue dot then. Sometimes it's not made very how a species does on the internet, so I need people to personally tell me.

Huh, I should have guessed that the Harlequin would be nippy (what with his blue teeth). I'll have to be extra careful, watching over them for a while before returning the Tusk if it goes as far as to nip at the shark. On the bright side, if I don't have a tusk, that opens up a lot of invertebrates that my other fish won't eat.

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
When I was into salt I avoided the blue spot ray fraythe reasons stated above but I did have a Cortez ray.I kept it along with a few different groupers as well as a Niger trigger with no issues.
I see, good to know.

Do any of you know whether stingray... stings towards other fish happen?

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
I see, good to know.

Do any of you know whether stingray... stings towards other fish happen?
It can happen, however it is very rare...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store