Heater burn

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
So my little guy got a heater burn over the weekend. Seemed to be healing fine with daily water changes. But today i noticed it took a turn for the worse. Looks like a huge hole now. Secondary infection has settled in. Any suggestions other than daily water changes?

I used tetracycline since I couldnt think of anything else.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So my little guy got a heater burn over the weekend. Seemed to be healing fine with daily water changes. But today i noticed it took a turn for the worse. Looks like a huge hole now. Secondary infection has settled in. Any suggestions other than daily water changes?

I used tetracycline since I couldnt think of anything else.

Charney Charney
Aquanero Aquanero

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
What are your water parameters?

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
8.2 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5-10 nitrates. Aquanero Aquanero

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
Ive been doing daily water changes since Saturday to keep the water pristine for healing. About two days ago I noticed the burn mark was getting fuzzy and today it just got worse. Secondary infection forsure.

I just need advise on what meds to use. Its at a point where it needs treatment

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Try neomycin or triple sulfa if you suspect a secondary infection. They can be used in combination if necessary for more difficult non systemic infections. They are not absorbed so useful for topical infections.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
good choices.
I always also liked stresscoat. I do believe that it helps to an extent

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
Thanks guys.

Ive been using tetracyline these last few days along with aquarium salt and stress coat for the aloe. Good news is he's eating and im not sure if im seeing minimal rejuvenation of skin but it seems like it. Im just about done with the 4 day treatment.

What do you guys recommend after im done with that treatment?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
how many days are you treating for? If you are seeing improvement after the full treatment I would continue with the salt and clean water

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
how many days are you treating for? If you are seeing improvement after the full treatment I would continue with the salt and clean water
I just added the last treatment two days ago, so its been about a week of treatment all in all. Today im looking to do a partial waterchange.

Shockingly I am seeing some improvement, really had my doubts never had a fish get this bad, I could literally see his bone.

ill continue with clean water and aquarium salt then

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store